PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

mrfjsw294
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
What do you do when the people in your area are happy with the results of a "hack" detailer? Im trying to market myself in such a way that gets the message across that im NOT a hack and my work is better than theirs and it seems as though im taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Every time I show someone my price list and explain to them in detail what exactly will be done to their vehicle, then they give me this "look" like, I can get it done for 10 bucks cheaper down the road at ABC Wash, Scratch and Swirls.

And the sad part is, im not that far off in price from these other guys! :angry Im just starting out and its only part time work for me. Do I need to start coming in lower than or equal to the other guys just to get my name out there, or maybe just do that for my "good" customers and let them know that this is their price and their price only and tell them for every 5 full details they refer, their next one is free?

Just looking for a little guidance, im a pretty persistent person so im not even close to giving up, just looking for a little help along the way.

jordanrossbell
03-11-2008, 02:16 AM
I am in the same boat as you..almost exactly. There is a hack detailer that charges 200 for a wash/wax/interior wipedown....and i had a customer throw a huge fit after agreeing on 500.00 for full details on both a lexus and escalade...now polish an escalade to near perfection and talk to me how it was worth much much more...but they wont pay it. :cry:

The key is to not ever sell out...be true to what you think is good work and be honest and up front with yourself. There just seriously may not be a market for your service in your area...sad but true..when people`s lifestyles are at stake it is time to be real. Your service will spread through your town by word of mouth, either good or bad. They may say that you are great but charge too much, but you will soon find out that some people get off on being at the top...therefore they will choose you. Once they see a true autopian detail a car, they wont go back to that hack.....i mean honestly would you choose a cheap heart surgeon?? Sell it to them that way

mrfjsw294
03-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I am in the same boat as you..almost exactly. There is a hack detailer that charges 200 for a wash/wax/interior wipedown....and i had a customer throw a huge fit after agreeing on 500.00 for full details on both a lexus and escalade...now polish an escalade to near perfection and talk to me how it was worth much much more...but they wont pay it. :cry:

The key is to not ever sell out...be true to what you think is good work and be honest and up front with yourself. There just seriously may not be a market for your service in your area...sad but true..when people`s lifestyles are at stake it is time to be real. Your service will spread through your town by word of mouth, either good or bad. They may say that you are great but charge too much, but you will soon find out that some people get off on being at the top...therefore they will choose you. Once they see a true autopian detail a car, they wont go back to that hack.....i mean honestly would you choose a cheap heart surgeon?? Sell it to them that way

Yep, thats exactly what im talking about. It is rather tough in my area though. For one, im in the north and most people have learned to deal with their cars getting destroyed from winter around here so they just dont care as much as say someone down south who is used to having a very clean car most of the time and throws a fit when its dirty, know what I mean?

I really think that it is the mentality of the people in my area. Most could care less if their detailer missed some spots or if they left holograms during polishing. I on the other hand would absolutely throw a freakin fit :furious:

Im doing the best I can for now. I just landed an account (5 cars/once a month) with a good friend of mine who knows a BUNCH of people who are a little higher class and he said he would refer me and help me as much as possible so I gave him a pretty darn good discount and made sure he knew that was HIS price and HIS price only. So perhaps, this will help in getting my name out into the community of people who care about their investments.

PTRon
03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Join a local Chamber of Commerce and go to it`s events. Most of the members are upscale business owners. Please note; just because people can afford a "true" detail it doesn`t mean they want one. Even wealthy people are uneducated about detailing and many of them don`t really care about the vehicle`s finish because they lease a new one every 2 or 3 years. Go to local car shows and meet-and-greets. Offer a non-Autopian package for the average joe (I know that`s not the customer you`re seeking out but let`s put some food on the table). Really nice business cards are a must, and a high-quality brochure or flyer. Every time you do a detail leave 5 business cards in the vehicle. Don`t give your services away for referrals (it`s too expensive and devalues your work)! As an alternative you can offer gift cards or gas cards and base the value of the gift card on the job you end up getting from the referral (10.00-50.00 is what I use). Likewise, instead of offering multi-car discounts you may want to just do something extra for that client. If you do that, be sure to notate it on your invoice/receipt (ex.; Apply sealant to wheels - N/C). They get a feebie and next time you wash the car you can use your regular car wash shampoo instead of a dedicated wheel cleaner (cheaper and saves you time). Offer gift certificates. Mostly, it`s all about marketing. Set yourself apart from the rest (see Paul Dalton). Market yourself as environmentally-friendly too ("I use VOC-free and VOC-compliant products. Biodegradeable too"). Just my 2 cents.

brwill2005
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
What are you doing to market yourself as a quality detailer? It takes a while to build a professional reputation. There are a select few, even in wealthy areas, who truly value quality detailing. Those types of clients, however, are not easy to find and are selective about which company services their cars. Concentrate on building a professional image. Make sure you are licensed and insured for starters. The advice offered by PTRon is solid as well.

Chris@Optimum
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
The truth is your work will have to do the talking, then your regulars will take care of you by word of mouth. In our fast paced world we tend to want too much too fast. There is no lasting quick way to succeed. So about the hacks, today I went by to see a friend of mine at his jewelry store. As soon as I pulled into the lot I saw a fresh hackers special and I deliberately parked next to it. It was all oiled up from the paint to the tires but had buffer trails and marring that should have been corrected before waxing. I proceeded inside and saw a woman waiting for her items to be polished. I struck up a convo with her asking if that was her shiney car outside. She was all smiles that I had noticed and started to brag about how good it looked to have 120k on it. BOOM there`s my opening, I asked her over to the window and showed her my 130k Altima and showed her the things on her car I could improve. I didn`t rate the other guys skill, just showed her that I could do more. Seeing is believing, she asked me for a card even though she just had hers done that day and shook my hand and thanked me for my time. The whole conversation was upbeat and positive and I built a rapport before I even mentioned that I am a detailer. The thing is you have to have time to build trust and confidence and most people give the pitch too soon or don`t have enough time to build rapport. I make sure my car is always spotless so they can see what I do and that paid off today. When you show someone a 5year old daily driver with 130k that looks showroom, they`ll listen to you. BTW you`ve got to be able to read them and I don`t know how to explain that. Hang in there, we`re always underappreciated and it`s hard for us to grasp the fact that everyone doesn`t want perfect.

Best Wishes,

Chris