PDA

View Full Version : Collinite waxes?

Pages : [1] 2

clnfrk
03-04-2008, 12:51 AM
I don`t understand why a considerable amount of people here say that the durability of Collinite is outstanding, but lacks in the looks department. I have tried quite a bit of different sealants and waxes and to me Collinite looks just as good, if not better than some of the best ones I have tried. I can`t help but think that the vast majority of users who post about the lack of depth or wetness of Collinite do so after hearing of someone who swears Zaino, Souveran, Zymol, Swissvax, etc. looks that much better perhaps due to the fact that they spent at least twice and often much more than what Collinite sells for and in their eyes is what makes their lsp of choice look so much better.

DanSTi
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Collinite looks great on solid colors but it seems to mute metallics.

silkstone
03-04-2008, 01:32 AM
i just laid down 3 coats of #845 on my gold metalflake ride. Flake pop is outstanding, Gloss is high, protection is unreal.

I was a skeptic, until I tried it. I just bought another bottle today @harbor freight, I wanted to try the 476s they had, but I didn`t need both.

I actually prefer the look over higher end waxes that lack durability....

My detailing costs just went down. All I need is a good Q/D, and I`m set for the summer/year.

joyriiide1113
03-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Collinite makes my metallic pop like no other and really brighten every paint it touches. Collinite is actually my go to for whites.

jshillin
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I like 845IW on silver metallic. It looks good on bright silvers/whites. I have it as my winter protection on my bright blue metallic WRX and it looks fine as well. I`m not a fan of it on dark colors because it my eyes it really brightens them.

845IW definitely has it`s place. I haven`t used any other collinite products.

EBPcivicsi
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM
If the paint is swirl-free I will put *anything* on it and it will look nice. Just make the paint swirl-free, go to Autozone and buy anything that you want, put it on the paint, and you have a *great* looking car.

IMO, LSP choice should really be about addressing your durability/protection needs. Sure you can tweak the look perhaps 5% with LSP choice, but 95% of the work is prep.

mikeemaf
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I use 476 for its durability during the winter months here in the northeast. It looks pretty good but IMO it slightly muted the flakes on the gray metallic civic I used it on.

Invigor
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I ordered some 476s today...we`ll see how it reacts to my silver Jetta. Hope it`s ok, cause all but 1 of the cars I do on a regular basis are metallic.

JustinDetail
03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
845 looks good on all colors, and doesn`t mute anything from my uses. Buy it and enjoy the best wax you`ll ever own for the money.

imported_bpfoley
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I ordered some 476s today...we`ll see how it reacts to my silver Jetta. Hope it`s ok, cause all but 1 of the cars I do on a regular basis are metallic.

put the 476 on THIN or you better have some Popeye arms

Accumulator
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Noting that I`m a *HUGE* fan of Collinite...

The 476S only seems to mute *certain* metallics. On my pewter Blazer it absolutely doesn`t do it, looks as nice as 845 (I have `em on adjacent panels as a test) and I can`t imagine that paint looking much better with *anything*. It just *pops* in the sun.

But on my wife`s silver A8 it *really* muted things, so much so that we both noticed it right away; I went back to #16 on that car (OK, we`re both *very* particular about how the Audis look).

On the charcoal metallic Denali XL (what *do* they call that color :confused: ), it also seems to mute the flake quite a bit. Not enough that I`d consider using anything else, but enough that it`s no beauty queen. It just looks sorta "blah" but hey, the dogs don`t mind ;)

Regarding 845 vs. 476S, for some reason I just don`t get the same durability out of 845 that others do :nixweiss My 476S seems to last forever (at least with a few layers) but the 845 never seems to last much longer than #16 for me. Not like I`ve quit using it though, and I like using it as a base for 476S; seems to lead to less wax residue build-up around pinstripes/stonechips/etc. and also makes the "wax your trim" work better.

Invigor
03-04-2008, 01:16 PM
put the 476 on THIN or you better have some Popeye arms

Can`t possibly be any worse than Klasse Sealant Glaze can it? :)

jimmie jam
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
845 looks good on all colors, and doesn`t mute anything from my uses. Buy it and enjoy the best wax you`ll ever own for the money.

:secret yep.

Accumulator
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
..[476S]..Can`t possibly be any worse than Klasse Sealant Glaze can it? :)

Nah, and IME it`s not as bad as too-thick #16 either. I dunno...I can`t remember 476S ever being a PIA to buff off :think: It is a "hard" wax though, not the easiest product in the world to apply in the first place. People sometimes complain about how hard it was to get it on the applicator. Gotta admit that I find it harder to use than #16 in that regard, and it probably explains why I go through 476S faster than #16 even though it lasts longer.

RitcheyRch
03-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I use it on everything. Works awesome on my boat.