PDA

View Full Version : anyone remove a dent in a steering wheel cover before?

alkemyst
03-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Can`t replace it as it`s part of the airbag...there is a cease/dent in the upper left portion of it.

I was thinking of hitting it with a hair dryer or heat gun ...the cover doesn`t come off as far as I can tell.

It`s a 1998 Nissan 240SX if anyone knows the plastics they used in that time frame.

jesselyons2002
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Do you have a picture on what your talking about.

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I will get one...it`s the `rubber` covering is just pushed in like a crease...like somone slammed the horn at one time.

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
http://driftkat.com/images/SteeringWheelDent.jpg

mhadden
03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
I highly doubt you`ll be able to do anything about it...the cover is part of the airbag and unless you are highly skilled, I wouldn`t suggest tearing it apart (not only for safety, but time).

EDIT: It looks like its more due to heat and oldness than whacking it...the plastic looks like its distorted all over the thing....sometimes there`s only so much you can do

David Fermani
03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Has the car ever been in an accident? Are you the original owner? It looks someone put a cover only on after the bag went off? Can you feel the air bag when you push the cover in? Nissan offers a steering wheel cover for $6.90 (P/N# 4846670F00). Otherwise a replacement air bag is $993. You could also find one used for a TON cheaper. Let me know if you need help.....

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
air bag is under there as far as I can tell....thanks for the part number, they couldn`t find it and told me it was part of the air bag assembly.

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
That part is showing as the left plastic piece that goes behind the wheel covering the airbag bolts. There is a left and right.

David Fermani
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I`m not totally sure if that`s the part that will work. Give them the part number and have them pull up a picture to be sure.

When you push in the cover(not too much; like a 1/2 inch or so), you should feel something lumpy behind it. That`s the air bag. If you don`t feel anything that deep, I`ll bet your airbag is missing.

What`s the history on the car?

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
There is no cover as far as I can tell and the dealerships. I have the FSM and FAST. I am pretty well experienced in this car having gutted it when purchased .

I know the history on the car, it was owned by two others...nothing set off the air bags, everything is complete under the covers.

It seems like there is a harder plastic layer under the wheel that is in four parts and this is were those creases are falling.

David Fermani
03-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I went to: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market (http://car-part.com/) and put in your vehicle`s information/part needed & found a bunch of used air bags for sale. Some as low as $100. This might help a bit.

alkemyst
03-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I am not looking to replace it at this time...those $100 airbags are probably beaten covers worse than mine though...

I will experiment tomorrow/weekend with a heatgun/hairdryer.

I am looking to fix this one if possible. I may just pick up a new steering wheel as the Silvia ones look alot nicer and integrate with the 240sx`s air bag system.