PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Detail High Wind / Sand

bunkeroo26
03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Hello Guys, and thank you for your Time.... Ladies too!

I am a detailer here in South Texas on the Water. We have great weather almost all year long. Most people down here do not have the luxury of a garage, so I have to detail outside. I have two main questions pertaining to this.

1) I detail outside in high wind conditions where there is a very good possibility of blowing sand. What steps do I need to take to protect the cars that I am detailing?

2) Can you suggest any good products that can be applied in direct sunlight? Or should I look into getting a temporary sunshade. Are there any of these sunshades that are convenient for detailing? I dont have much cash to spend, yet I really want to do it right.

Thank you for your time again.

Trey (long time lurker - I love Autopia!)

clnfrk
03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
The only thing I can think of to protect the vehicles that you are detailing outdoors is to get yourself a canopy that has covers on the sides of it. I plan on getting me one for this exact same reason. Not only will it protect the cars, it also shows not only to the client whose car your are working on, but also to potential clients that happen to see you that you care enough about their vehicle to take such protective measures.

As far as products that work well in the sun... Poorboys advertises that their products can be applied in direct sunlight. I think Optimum products might be another option as well.

bunkeroo26
03-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply clnfrk. Just a question about the canopy. I`m in a very very windy city, so it would have to get tied down to where it can`t move. I haven`t seen anything that would be stable in wind. Any ideas?

Scottwax
03-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I actually had to reschedule a few details this winter due to extremely high (25-40 mph) winds. Not only was dust a concern but keeping all my stuff from blowing away.

Not sure a canopy is the answer unless it can be sealed pretty well and won`t blow away.

Optimum, Clearkote and Poorboy`s products work well in the sun.

bunkeroo26
03-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks Scott

Yeah I`m down here in Corpus Christi, the winds are horrible. I guess I`ll just have to keep up with the weather forcast more....

Trey

clnfrk
03-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply clnfrk. Just a question about the canopy. I`m in a very very windy city, so it would have to get tied down to where it can`t move. I haven`t seen anything that would be stable in wind. Any ideas?

Well, most people use weights placed over the bottoms of the legs such as 5 gallon buckets filled with water. I guess you would have to first get the canopy and then perhaps experiment with that method prior to actually placing a vehicle near it to see if that would provide sufficient stability. Maybe someone who has actually done so could chime in and share their experiences.

Other than working indoors in a garage, I can`t think of anything else that would provide any real benefit.

PTRon
03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
EZ-Up canopies come with stakes or you can buy their sandbags (I have both). The sandbags hold 40 lbs of sand each. I don`t know about 40 mph winds though.

bunkeroo26
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
So, here is my new idea.

I am planning on getting a sunshade that is typically used for beaches. it has a solid top, but screened in sides. I`m kind of assuming that the screens will let the wind pass but stop most of the sand.

Dumb Idea?