PDA

View Full Version : How Often to Polish?

Pages : [1] 2

Imatk
03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I was just able to wash my car after several months (broke my arms) and it looks good, but I was wondering if I should polish it.

There`s not visible swirling or anything, just wondering if it`s appearance would be even better if I polished. I was going to just wax it and be done, but I figured I`d ask.

And should I clay it as well?

Like I said it looks really good already, but I was wondering how much is too much and if it`s necessary.

Thanks.

If I polish it will be with a PC and either Optimum Polish or Menzerna FPII

ptaylor_9849
03-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry to hear about you`re arms. I`m not trying to be confrontational but I must ask, you`ve been a member here for two years and have over three hundred posts. How is it that you need advice on this? :think:

Imatk
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Well to be honest I`ve never gone this long without detailing my car. About the only thing that would have stopped me was breaking both of my arms.. which I did :)

If this was my normal bi-monthly detail I wouldn`t even worry with polishing it. The paint looks great, and there are no swirls. BUT Honestly I don`t know if the paint looks good to me now because I haven`t seen it clean for three months or if it is indeed in the best shape.

The car has been outside for probably a month uncovered (until I bought a cover) because we moved. So it`s not only gone without a wash for that long, but it`s been exposed to elements that it was not previously exposed to really since it was mostly garage-kept.

sinbad
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Without seeing the condition firsthand, it is difficult to tell what to/not to do. Based on your explanation, it wouldn`t hurt to clay bar and start things off nice and clean. If it looks good to you, then no need to polish and go straight to LSP or use a one-step like Klasse AIO or Optimum Poli-Seal.

BigJimZ28
03-03-2008, 04:35 PM
if there are no swirls why whoud you polish?

feel the paint and see if it need it be clayed!

jswift2000
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
If there are no scratches/swirls, you could use a finish polish (SFX-3, Menz FP/FPII/106, etc) with a blue or gray pad to add some shine...

Imatk
03-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah that`s what I was wondering if I should do... use FPII or OP with a blue pad or just leave it.

BlackElantraGT
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Personally, I would just leave it and wait a little longer when Spring comes around to do a more thorough detail. From how you`re describing your car, it sounds like it just needs a good wash and wax. But that`s just me because I barely have enough time as is to detail my own cars. We all have different priorities.

Imatk
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah that`s what I`m leaning toward. It`s like when you see your car and think, "Yeah it looks good." Then you polish it and think, "Holy crap it looks a lot better"

I just don`t know how much "better" it will look. But yeah I think I`ll just go ahead and seal it and leave it. The paint is pretty dry so I don`t think there`s much left of the LSP.

Accumulator
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
if there are no swirls why whoud you polish?

feel the paint and see if it need it be clayed!

My thoughts exactly :xyxthumbs

I haven`t polished most of our vehicles for ages...if the paint isn`t marred I don`t polish. I sure wouldn`t use OP unless you need to and even FPII seems like overkill just to clean the paint a little.

jshillin
03-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I would just clay, then use a chemical non abrasive polish or paint cleaner, then your LSP of choice.

superchargedg
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I would just clay, then use a chemical non abrasive polish or paint cleaner, then your LSP of choice.

Plus 1 on that.

MrNorwall
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
yea i say clay then meguairs paint cleaner (by hand) then protect will be all you need to do

paint cleaner is avaliable at walmart for like 11 99

its actually a great product, just doesnt remove swirls, which you dont need it to

JaCkaL829
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
If there are no visible swirls or marring I would just wax it and be done. If an Autopian can`t see them, I`m sure your average person won`t.

I wish my car could stay swirlfree that long. :mad:

clnfrk
03-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I would really like to know how you managed to break both of your arms?