PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run....

ajnavo61490
03-02-2008, 12:50 PM
this morning i was washing my car planning to polish it out... all went well until i got to the rear driver`s side quarter panel... HUGE SCRATCH!!! It`s down to the metal and pretty significant IMO and prolly 90% of ppl`s opinions. I don`t know when it happened... so my insurance won`t cover it. Anyways, im looking for a paint touch-up kit... any good ones out there that yall have had good results from and won`t break my wallet either?

Heres a pic...

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/2118/bmwscratchii9.jpg

imported_Luster
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I`m sorry that happened to you. The same thing has happened to all of us at some point.:cry:

The problem with that kind of a scratch is that touch up paint will definitely show. The entire scratch needs to be sanded, filled with filler primer, re-painted and re-cleared. That`s 500 bucks minimum.

There are some paint shops out there that specialize in touchups, air-brushing, etc. Now all you have to do is find one! :laugh:

My Corvette had 3 quarter-size chips out of the paint. All the way down to fiberglass.

There is a painter here in KC who did the touch up on the car and you honestly can`t see where those spots were.

bumoftheday
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Make friends with a body shop. I got a hit and run situation like that, except much bigger, taken car of for $175.

Deanski
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
As much as I used to do paintwork may many years ago, I still farm out ALL touchup or worse to a bodyshop that deals in these. They have the best equipment and more importantly, talent/skill to handle this.

Sure, you can do the whole paint/clearcoat touchup, wetsand, level and polish, but why try it if you`ve never done it?

Spend the cash on having the best shop do this for you, then maintain as before.

I`m sorry some tool had to do this to your car. Time to move on and get it resolved ASAP.

Regards,

Deanski