PDA

View Full Version : Black window trim cracked - paint it?

jbum
03-02-2008, 02:40 AM
I have a `93 Honda Civic and the black window trims have cracked and the aluminum (I think) is showing. I believe the original material was either hard rubber or plastic.

I know this isn`t quite a "detailing" topic but I wanted to know what others have done to remedy this kind of problem?

I don`t need to restore it to the original factory trims. I just want to chip off the remaining trim material and paint it black. I`m not sure what kind of paint and what kind of preparation I need to make it look ok. I`ll need either a shiny or wet-looking black paint as opposed to a dull matte black.

Suggestions?

The Wraith
03-02-2008, 04:25 AM
This is a great question as it pertains to many rides. Persosonally, I`d take it to a shop for a quote first. Let a pro do it unless you enjoy this sort of project and are confident you won`t make it look worse. Post some pics!

jbum
03-02-2008, 05:23 AM
Post pics of the current deteriorated trims?

jesselyons2002
03-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I know what your talking about. If you want to look factory again. Your going to have to take it off and get some krylon or vht wrinkle paint in black or if you want a smooth finish just sand it and then paint it. I did the wrinkle with my civic when I use to own one.