PDA

View Full Version : Applying wax, whats the best method

Por2geezSupra
03-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I was wondering which method is the best to apply wax, by hand or by porter cable?

P1et
03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I apply by hand via foam applicator. Works great.

The Wraith
03-01-2008, 12:15 AM
`I\`ve always applied by hand, but now I\`m realizing I\`ve never truly removed swirl marks by hand. Can buying an orbital buffer such as a Mikita do more harm than good for a novice such as myself?`

Por2geezSupra
03-01-2008, 01:01 AM
When applying with a foam applicator, do you apply it it in swirl motions? And when removing the wax with a MF towel, is it best to do it in swirl motions also?

aabablusaan
03-01-2008, 01:26 AM
When applying with a foam applicator, do you apply it it in swirl motions? And when removing the wax with a MF towel, is it best to do it in swirl motions also?

I swirl for better coverage when applying, but I also remove it in straight lines.

mr.ikon
03-01-2008, 01:42 AM
I apply and remove in straight lines

KnuckleBuckett
03-01-2008, 02:25 AM
I am a firm believer that by hand is best.

npb
03-01-2008, 06:24 AM
how do you determine if you should let the wax set and haze or buff off immediately?

KnuckleBuckett
03-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Depends upn the type and brand. I usually pay close attention to the manufacturers recommendations.

mikebai1990
03-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I do both ways, but I`d say that PC will offer a more quicker and more even coverage. PC is also very good when you need to spread very thin layers for waxes that become hard to remove when applied thickly. My only concern with PC, since I use 6" pads, is that I waste a little more wax than I would applying the wax by hand with a small foam applicator.

P1et
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
I apply wax in a circular movement on the horizontals and in a straight line on the verticals. I follow the recommendations of the mfg as far as letting is haze is concerned. For example, Lusso Oro recommends 30 seconds.

j3ffff
03-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I like applying wax with PC because I feel that I get more uniform coverage of thin layers. Also, when I go to remove the wax, I just put a microfiber towel under the pad and then use the machine to remove the wax.

Accumulator
03-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I get slightly better results doing it by PC/Cyclo and I like it better :D Better chance of uniform coverage with all those orbits-per-minute (especially with the Cyclo`s overlapping pads).

Removal by hand/machine is usually pretty much a toss-up as you need to follow up a machine removal by hand anyhow. But again, consider all those OPMs...do you really buff as thoroughly by hand? OTOH, does it matter?

But *in some cases* doing eveything by machine gives me a noticeably better LSP effect (note that 99% of the look comes from the prep anyhow). Waxes like #16 simply work better with more aggressive application techniques (which better facilitates the "paste wax that turns liquid" effect) and sometimes the additional burnishing that removal-by-machine provides can impart a little better luster.

Doing a "pseudo spitshine" while applying/removing by machine gives me tiny spherical beads that just *barely* contact the underlying panels; it`s like a zillion ball bearings sitting on the paint. I simply can`t get that effect to the same extent by hand.

Straight/elliptical/circular....doesn`t matter as long as you don`t instill marring- how *can* it matter? Likewise,nobody`s ever provided any compelling evidence that the "up-down on the sides/back-forth on the horizontals" makes any difference either (LSPs don`t have a "grain", at least not to the naked eye or with up to 30X magnification; I`ve looked for it).

As for the manufacturer`s directions- I`m sure glad Mike Phillips challenged me to ignore them and let Souveran set up before I buff it off; wish I`d tried it years ago.