PDA

View Full Version : I was watching this guy at the car wash!

Pages : [1] 2 3

percyjones
07-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I was over at the car wash the other day, and some guy was washing the outside of his truck (nothing out of the ordinary), then out of nowhere one of the other guys that was with him pops the hood and goes to spraying the engine with very high pressure water!

Now, I`m no expert but something seemed wrong with that picture, it was clear that he didn`t cover anything or check anything before letting it fly.

I don’t really know if this type of action is okay or not, I`ve never really considered the idea just because it seemed like there were important parts of the engine that were exposed and could be harmed by water flying around everywhere, let alone HIGH pressure water.

So... am I just crazy and don`t really know what I`m talking about?
Or maybe these guys just didn`t know what they were doing (of course I`m assuming, I was just observing after all).]

Look forward ro comments.

-Percy

Exquisite
07-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Well that was definately quite a risky move considering the high pressure water could have easily found it`s way through sealed electrical compartments. Anytime I clean up engine compartments I always check the fuse box area and anything electrical to make sure they are sealed and then cover them with plastic just for precautions.

Mr. Clean
07-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Back in the day (that is a funny saying :D ) (70s-`80s) I used that same method to keep my truck`s engine bay looking brand new. I never covered anything, just soaped it up and rinsed it down. Never had a bit of trouble, mechanical or cosmetic. I had that truck for 26 years.

Would I do that today? Ummmm....not without taking at least a little more precautions than I did back then.

ShineProDetails
07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Engines are all different. I wouldn`t do it to a hot engine, but I pressure wash all of the cars I do. Now my pressure washer is a small Craftsman 1800 psi, but I still cover certain parts and don`t pressure wash it long. I usually wait 20 mins, and start the engine to dry.

percyjones
07-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Well for what I`ve heard so far it sounds like I need to know the in`s and out`s of my own engine.

Any one happen to know much about a Lincoln LS 2003 Sport motor?
I have a feeling this would be an engine I would need to covers things.
I think I`m going to by one of those books that tells me where every screw is :paper .

Mr. Clean, this guy did have a older (late 80`s :lmfao ) truck, I wonder if this had something to do with it. From what I`ve heard in general, newer vehicals are much more picky when it comes to engines, I`m assuming that includes letting that water fly.

maximv1
07-23-2005, 02:04 PM
i powerwash engines all the time. i stay away from the altenator, sparkplugs, fuse boxs and cap and rotor if there. as long as you keep the spray about 8 inches away, and don`t soak electrical areas you will be fine.

percyjones
07-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey Maxim,

It just sounds so simple... why am I so freaked about doing it then.
I think it has something to do with that fact that you told me to stay away from something, like "alternator, sparkplugs, fuse boxes and cap and rotor".

Maybe I should keep to cleaning my engine the way Barry Meguiar suggests; of course I may not use the products he suggests, but no bid deal.

Thanks Maxim

maximv1
07-24-2005, 07:45 AM
i don`t worry to much about it. it save alot of time with grimy engines. if you use common snese and restraint in certain ares you will not damage anything. if water does seep in to areas and the vehicle runs a little rough when started, let it run for 10-20 mins. to dry the moisture out.

JeffM
07-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I used to spray everything down all the time in my trucks. Only problem i ever had was my 2000 powerstroke, the "water in fuel " light popped on for a day or so.

CharlesW
07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
A suggestion that was made to me for covering electrical parts was to use some aluminum foil. It should be fairly easy to form it around whatever you are trying to keep dry.

Charles

percyjones
07-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Well, I`m still definitely going to research some more on my particular engine, I very much appreciate the voice of confidence and suggestions.

Many, many thanks everyone!

- Percy

majsmith
08-05-2005, 10:11 PM
As for the Lincoln LS, I`d definately cover things up a bit. The coil on plug ignition on this vehicle has enough problems without soaking the coils with water...ymmv :beat

klnyc
08-06-2005, 06:33 AM
I did many engine bay cleaning. I use common sense, I dont go out and flood the entire engine, you know? I lightly mist entire bay then I use APC and then usea bristle brush to agitale the area. The past weekend I done a 2000 Lincoln LS also, I dont know if 2k3 its the same as this one.

Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/2000%20Lincoln%20LSC/EN_B4.jpg

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/klnyc/2000%20Lincoln%20LSC/EN_after.jpg

jaybs02
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Nice work klnyc.

With todays engines that have so many delicate sensors, I prefer to take a few extra moments to cover them.
Some folks here take 10-15 minutes to tape off trim to save them clean up time, I think the same rule would apply to save a $20-$100 sensor.

JMHO
"J"

njno1badboy
08-14-2005, 06:07 PM
damn , great job on that motor :headbang