PDA

View Full Version : Wood Steering Wheel

KnuckleBuckett
02-26-2008, 09:58 PM
My Lexus has scratches in the rear of the wood of the steering wheel. How do I get rid or fill them so that I can`t feel them?

I am stumped.

BuffMe
02-26-2008, 11:15 PM
I believe those types of wood surfaces (not sure if they have changed since the `02 Lexus`) are coated in plastic. So, if it`s not through the plastic, you can try wet sanding with something like 2000 grit, then using a lottt of elbow grease and some polish, polish it back to shine. It`s hard to give advice thought without knowing the depth of the scratch, type of material we`re dealing with, and a picture for reference (if possible).

KnuckleBuckett
02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes they are plastic coated. I can`t get a decent picture of it back there. Already tried.

I am guessing that the previous owner had jewelry that caused teh scratches. None are visible, but I can feel the ones on the back. Scratches not gouges, but they are noticeable.

Think I should treat them like head light scratches?

BuffMe
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I would treat them the same. Would be a lot easier if you could take the steering wheel off.

watermantra
02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
I`m not entirely familiar with the coating on wooden steering wheels, but I am a woodworker, and the steering wheels I`ve seen in wood look like they`re coated in an epoxy resin. If that is the case, you can actually fill them in with the same resin, and then do the wetsanding and polishing, if the scratches are deep. That stuff is pretty easy to work with (think bar top type pour on finishes) and cures anywhere from 10 min to 30 min. Get in touch with a woodworking supply, (Woodworking tools, supplies, plans, projects, accessories, articles and more - Woodcraft.com (http://www.woodcraft.com)) and they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

One post said it would be easier to to with the wheel off. Ditto from me.