PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to clay before I use KAIO?

BradUF
02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
This car is very well maintained and I just wanted to know if I need to clay before I use KAIO with a white polish pad on my Porter Cable. Won`t KAIO remove everything that a claybar would have removed?

Cleaning Fool
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
No, KAIO will not remove the contaminates that a claybar will

imported_smprince1
02-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Won`t KAIO remove everything that a claybar would have removed?

Not usually in my experience.

It`s up to you but when I`m doing a full detail I just about always clay. It will "pull out" embedded contaminants in / on your paint like brake dust, rail dust, industrial fallout, tree sap, tar, overspray, etc. and really make the paint smooth.

Some would disagree with even skipping clay on this ... but I sometimes skip claying if I`m going to be doing deep correction (e.g. rotary/wool/compound) as I find this will usually remove what the clay would. But KAIO is pretty mild, having only chemical cleaners and no abbrasives.

That being said, I typically only clay my personal vehicles twice per year.

BradUF
02-23-2008, 05:32 PM
It was clayed about 3 months back.

imported_smprince1
02-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Hey BradUF .... only you can tell if the car should be clayed since we don`t know it`s history nor do we have access to the car to inspect. We can`t make that decision for you. :nixweiss

Your question was whether claying and KAIO were redundant, and IMO, they are not but in fact accomplish different objectives.

wfedwar
02-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Probably not necessary if it was just clayed 3 months ago.

BigJimZ28
02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
baggie test anyone?

telling you that you need to clay or not is only a guess

and has little to do with how well it is maintained or how long ago you clayed

put your hand in a cheap(the thinner the better) zipper top type bag

and LIGHTLY drag your fingers over the paint

if you feal "grit" you need to clay

EDIT: some good basic clay info here:http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80231-detailing-clay-pre-wax-cleaning.html

wfedwar
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
What`s the point in the bag anyway? Can`t you just feel the paint with your bare finger? That`s what I`ve always done, anyway.

BigJimZ28
02-24-2008, 06:58 PM
What`s the point in the bag anyway?

it will give you a more amplified feeling of touch and help you feel them better

Can`t you just feel the paint with your bare finger? That`s what I`ve always done, anyway.

yes