PDA

View Full Version : Help me speed up my ONR wash time!

Macruz19
02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Yesterday was my 2nd ONR wash with the Lowes GS all in my garage. I`d say it took me a little over an hour to complete... prior to a Z-6 wipe down, and cleaning my MF towels.

I used the following:

-1 ounce of ONR with 1 gallon of water in pesticide sprayer for wheel wells, and pre-soak dirty areas.

-2 ounces of ONR in a bucket of 2 gallon water using GS & grit guard.

-1 ounce of ONR in a bucket of 1 gallon water for my wheels first, and then the wheel wells.

Steps:

1. Did passenger doors, half of roof including door jambs.

2. Dry

3. Did rear trunk, spoiler, and rear bumper, rear lights etc..

4. Dry

5. Did drivers side doors, other half of roof including door jambs

6. Dry

7. Windshield, wipers, hood, and front bumper, headlights etc..

8. Dry

9. All 4 wheels with the seperate gallon of ONR solution

10. Dry wheels before going to the next wheel

11. Used the pesticide sprayer and brush to clean all my wheel wells one by one.

12. Blot dry any wet areas with new WW towel.

Is there something I can do to make it faster, other than doing the complete car first before drying?

CleanGSR
02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
That`s basically how I do it, but I do different sections together than you. For example I do the front fender and door on one side/then dry, then do the same on the other side. Then the front bumper/hood, then work my way back. I don`t think you`d be able to do the entire car without the first section drying on you. My ONR washes take me about 30-45 minutes, but the birght side is that I don`t have to do it all at once. I actually ONR`d this weekend on commercial breaks over the course of 2 hours (car is in the garage though).

Macruz19
02-20-2008, 12:24 PM
That`s basically how I do it, but I do different sections together than you. For example I do the front fender and door on one side/then dry, then do the same on the other side. Then the front bumper/hood, then work my way back. I don`t think you`d be able to do the entire car without the first section drying on you. My ONR washes take me about 30-45 minutes, but the birght side is that I don`t have to do it all at once. I actually ONR`d this weekend on commercial breaks over the course of 2 hours (car is in the garage though).

I believe you own a GSR (Integra) so that would make it faster since your car is a little smaller! LOL!

NSXTASY
02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Wash quicker and dry quicker. I often wash half of the car before drying, excluding the bumpers. Wash the other half, excluding the bumpers. Then wash the bumpers. Wheels/Tires/Wells are done in a separate bucket beforehand.

If the ONR begins to dry on the car, I spray some more solution on it.

The relative cleanliness of the car also affects the total time.

I`m about anywhere from 20-50 mins. depending on cleanliness level.

kkreit01
02-20-2008, 03:26 PM
My first time took quite awhile. Next -- I started to wash more -- before drying. From now on --- I`m going to do the whole car before drying. During winter, it`s cool in my garage, and won`t dry before I get to it. I think the most time is spent by wash a little,m then dry a little, then wash a little -- and you`ll overlap already dried spots, etc.

Bigpoppa3346
02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
An hour sounds about right for an ONR wash, that doesn`t seem slow. I know I take longer than that.

Remember, faster doesn`t always equal better. You don`t want to add any marring.

SHhhhh
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
What are some of the advantages of going with the ONR over a conventional RINSED wash? I know it is helpful for you in the north when it is cold, and also helps on the water bill.

I feel that the way I wash my car (with rinsing) yields less marring, and that is the most important factor for me.

CleanGSR
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
It also works when it`s really hot out with no overcast. If my only other option is to wash in full sun where the car dries about as quick I as I can get it wet, then it`s easier to pull in the garage with the door and window open (to get some airflow) and do an ONR wash out of the sun.

I know that some people use ONR washes almost exclusively, but I always prefer to do a conventional wash when I can. I usually wait until the sun is on the backside of the house in the evening to wash the car. However on those times when I can`t wait or won`t be home during that time, an ONR wash in the garage is much better than being in direct sun.

kkreit01
02-20-2008, 04:48 PM
^ There are hundreds of posts on ONR. Many have replaced hose washing with ONR. I will only use it during winter. IMO, nothing beats a hose washing during nice weather. It`s a pain to do tires/wheels/wheel wells with a waterless wash product.

Macruz19
02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
An hour sounds about right for an ONR wash, that doesn`t seem slow. I know I take longer than that.

Remember, faster doesn`t always equal better. You don`t want to add any marring.

True :cool:

Macruz19
02-20-2008, 05:23 PM
It also works when it`s really hot out with no overcast. If my only other option is to wash in full sun where the car dries about as quick I as I can get it wet, then it`s easier to pull in the garage with the door and window open (to get some airflow) and do an ONR wash out of the sun.

I know that some people use ONR washes almost exclusively, but I always prefer to do a conventional wash when I can. I usually wait until the sun is on the backside of the house in the evening to wash the car. However on those times when I can`t wait or won`t be home during that time, an ONR wash in the garage is much better than being in direct sun.

As for me... the sunsets in front of my house, and it`s hot as hell. So when I do wash with a hose, I have to hurry and park the car in the garage to dry. I still even have to close the garage in order to block out the sun.

Macruz19
02-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I think the one thing that`s slowing me down using ONR is the new Big Blue WW towel that I just bought for drying. That thing is HUGE! I`m used to my Megs 16x24 WW for drying my car.

cajunfirehawk
02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I can give you an answer that may be of no use to you or your wash situation?

What I do is basically the same BUT, instead of stopping to dry, my wife (OR:helper, partner, S/O, brother, mother,etc) follows me with the waffle weave, I just mist my work area (fender, qtr pnl, roof, hood, etc), then ONR wash, move on, repeat, all the while the wife and her waffle weave follow. We save door jambs, glass, running boards, wheels, tires and wheel wells to last. We can do all of the body panels in about 30 mins, but the time saved there gets consumed on the other stuff in the end so an hour is about normal, I suppose?

spotter
02-22-2008, 09:47 AM
I use a two side bucket. I use about an 1.5 ounces for 2 gallons of water on the wash side and about 0.5 ounces with 2 gallons of water on the rinse side of my bucket. I find the ONR causes any residue from my MF towel or grout sponge to sink to bottom of the bucket. Unless the paint is really hot I do the entire car (Lexus GS400) in less than 10 minutes and then dry with my WW towel in about 5 minutes. I then spend another 5 minutes doing doors jams, etc, and then another 10 minutes doing my tires, wheels, and exhaust pipes. I then do a quick spray of Optimum Car Wax all around .... maybe another 10 minutes.

Counting the time to get everything cleaned up and put away I probably spend close to 45-50 minutes. I have never seen any marring from using ONR but still do a traditional wash about 1/4 of the time.