PDA

View Full Version : wool pads and shedding everywhere!!!!

newtodetailing
02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
so i bought wool pads for my makita rotary and lint goes EVERYWHERE. i`ve used the duo spur cleaning tool. even after my 3rd use w/ these wool pads, there`s just too much lint coming off the pad. will this eventually stop? or should i just stick to foam pads?

brwill2005
02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Before using them, wet your hand and rub the pad with it. Do this until the pad stops shedding.

TTWAGN
02-19-2008, 03:09 AM
buy some decent wool pads.

I used some yum cha pads and they were so bad.

Since then i`ve used meguiars wool pads and they are perfect.

Something like the edge pads are perfect too, from what ive seen.

newtodetailing
02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
i have the edge pads.

imported_smprince1
02-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I also have the Edge pads and mine shed like crazy as well. Some I`ve used a few times, so they`ve been spurred numberous times ... the shedding gets better after some use but it`s still there.

If somebody has a solution I`d also appreciate hearing it.

JonP
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I had this problem too. I just open the door and place a fan behind me to let it all blow out the door or do it outside. I just bought some better pads to cut down on the shedding. You might try spinning the pads on the rotary (if you have one) for a few seconds to minimize the shedding.

raadkins16
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
According to a few of the vets on here, they end up washing the car after compounding or doing corrections when using wool, so i assume the shedding and the mess never completely goes away no matter how used the pads are?

Wren
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
According to a few of the vets on here, they end up washing the car after compounding or doing corrections when using wool, so i assume the shedding and the mess never completely goes away no matter how used the pads are?

Depends on the pad.

wannafbody
02-19-2008, 06:37 PM
After a few uses the shedding falls off. Try misting some QD on the pad prior to use. It is also somewhat polish dependent. Experiment with different polish and compound combo`s.

James Thomas
02-21-2008, 06:29 AM
My two cents, I take a new wool pad and spur the hell out of it, run the edges on a clean corner surface of an old outside chair (not two much though) and wash them twice and tumble dry on low ( real low) before they get used the first time. This knocks the loose fibers out and "pre sheds" it so to speak. Cheap pads aren`t shedding, that`s controled distruction.

Even the very finest pads will shed a bit at first but then taper off in my experience.

________

James

gmblack3
02-21-2008, 06:55 AM
Before using them, wet your hand and rub the pad with it. Do this until the pad stops shedding.

I agree except I dip my hand is a bucket of water and let the new pad run on the lowest setting on the rotary. This is with the edge pads, so I do both sides. Like said a new pad is going to shed more then a used pad.

I wash the car after polishing to get rid of the dust that some polishes put off and make sure the surface is clean of polishing oils when using zaino.

David Fermani
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I take a new wool pad and spur the hell out of it.

Even the very finest pads will shed a bit at first but then taper off in my experience.

Right. That`s what works for me also. Compressed air also helps knock off the loose fibers too.

wannafbody
02-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I use an old toothbrush to "spur" the pads.