PDA

View Full Version : Teflon package from the dealer? worth it

Carbon Blue
02-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I was wondering what really is the "teflon package" that comes as an option from the stealership? Is this just another form of marketing where they use some sort of sealant??

imported_truzoom
02-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Yup.

IIRC, Teflon requires high temperatures to physically bond to surfaces, so I`d like to see the day we get that technology on car paint..

JonP
02-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Ask them how are they going to apply Teflon to the paint without burning the paint off the car. It`s just another marketing gimmick that sounds good.

Mr_Elusive
02-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I`d go with scam. Unless they are really baking something onto the paint, which I doubt they are.

Invigor
02-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Save your money. I`ll those dealership "addons" can be done yourself for probably $100 if you undercoat as well. Fabric guard, paint sealant...all HUGE money grabs. Think of popcorn at the movie theater. $0.30 to make, charge $5.

RTexasF
02-18-2008, 09:48 AM
It is purely a profit center for them......Decline.

Wren
02-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Pass, and here`s why...

A looooong time ago I worked in a detail dept of a large car dealership that sold these $700 sealant packages (paint, interior, and underbody) as an option for new and used cars, mainly new. What you really paid for was to have some kid (me) spray scotch guard on the fabric, wax the car, then don a white painters suit, (my favorite) jack up the car to spray this black tar-like undercoating in the wheel wells and underbody.

You`d be better off protecting it yourself, save a ton of cash too.