PDA

View Full Version : Orbital buffer?

TonyLS
07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
A while back my father purchased a buffer/polisher(11inch) from sears. I would say that this unit is about 15 years old. It`s in excellent shape and has only been used a few times. My question is how can I tell if it`s an orbital buffer or not, it doesn`t say "orbital" anywhere on the unit or in the instructions that came alone with it. It says that it`s a car buffer/polisher.

I`d like to use it on my new Lincoln LS but don`t want to run the risk of demaging the paint. I used it last about 3 years ago on another car, seems like it worked fine. Guess I`m being overly paranoid.

GregCavi
07-20-2005, 03:01 PM
I think its safe to say it is an orbital. Buffers like this have very low speeds and dont do much for removing defects. The only task this is good for is waxing. You can use it but it wont get any different results than you would by hand.

Greg

Bob
07-20-2005, 07:49 PM
I would guess it is a random orbital buffer myself.

pappy
07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
u would probally get better results if you do it by hand.

tubafeak
07-21-2005, 06:06 AM
The only way you`re going to damage the paint with it is if you smack it against your hood repeatedly with the plastic part.

TonyLS
07-21-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the input, it sounds like it`s safe to use. The car is in great shape , I`m just trying to give me hurting shoulder a break from not doing it by hand.

TonyLS
07-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the input, it sounds like it`s safe to use. The car is in great shape , I`m just trying to give me hurting shoulder a break from not doing it by hand.

TonyLS
07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
I believe the rev/min number is either printed on the machine or paper work, I`ll post that info also