PDA

View Full Version : Where does a glaze fit in?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chris@Optimum
02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
I was wondering how you guys define a glaze and what purpose it should serve in a pro`s arsenal. I`ve always thought of it as a cheater product that doesn`t last. Maybe just for use on show cars? And if you guys do use them on clients cars, do you tell the customer how short lived they are? I`ve never used them at all, but I just wanted to see where they fit in for you guys who have.

Thanks

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey Chris,

There is basically not much difference between most glazes and polishes. It is just that some manufacturers like to call a specific product a glaze while another similar product may be called a polish. Both glazes and polishes are usually not very abrasive and they play an important part when you are trying to create a deep high gloss shine.

Thanks for asking...

ShowroomDetail
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
I have always thought that a glaze is used to fill in the minor imperfections in paint with no abrasives at all while a polish actually polishes out swirls and scratches rather than filling them.:nixweiss

aboveclean
02-14-2008, 07:50 PM
A pure Polish and a Glaze are interchangeable, they are a non-abrasive paint conditioner that restores oils to the paint(wet). That is my opinion. I use a non-abrasive foam pad when I apply a "Glaze".

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-14-2008, 09:51 PM
I typically think of a `glaze` as a filler product, and a `polish` as an abrasive swirl-remover. I`m not a pro, so I can`t help you in that regard though. But I apply it to my car about once a month, and apply a coat or two of wax on top.

NSXTASY
02-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey Chris,

There is basically not much difference between most glazes and polishes. It is just that some manufacturers like to call a specific product a glaze while another similar product may be called a polish. Both glazes and polishes are usually not very abrasive and they play an important part when you are trying to create a deep high gloss shine.

Thanks for asking...

This seems to be the thinking of yesteryear, along with polish=lsp, ala Zaino/Duragloss.

I think that the proper identification is as follows:

Glaze/Pure Polish: functionally non-abrasive, chemical, or just pure gloss enhancement

Polish: low to mild abrasives , light to moderate defect removal

Compound: Mild to heavy abrasives, moderate to serious defect removal

Generally glazes are being left behind considering modern day auto with CC finishes. Although products like HD cleanse/Cleanerfluid/RMG are used.

I however <3 Danase Wet Glaze.

I agree with the three previous posters.

IMO of course.

Carbon Blue
02-14-2008, 10:15 PM
This seems to be the thinking of yesteryear, along with polish=lsp, ala Zaino/Duragloss.

Glaze/Pure Polish: functionally non-abrasive, chemical, or just pure gloss enhancement

Generally glazes are being left behind considering modern day auto with CC finishes. Although products like HD cleanse/Cleanerfluid/RMG are used.

IMO of course.

hey NSXTACY I also received my DWG in the mail, I was wondering if I should polish, DWG, then add Collinite 845 Insulator wax or polish, collinite 845IW, then DWG. what do you think is best ??

a.k.a. Patrick
02-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Pretty much my perception. Glazes can be used for cheating. They can also be used for enhancement (temporary) atop sealants. I really dont believe in using them "under" anything"....Its always been my belief, that the filling properties of glazes, are physically altered, therefore minimized, when applying something atop a glaze. The actual attrition of applying a sealant would disrupt any settling, and then the physical removal of a wax or sealant, would certainly attribute to its minimization.

Just my $.02.

BigJimZ28
02-14-2008, 10:21 PM
hey NSXTACY I also received my DWG in the mail, I was wondering if I should polish, DWG, then add Collinite 845 Insulator wax or polish, collinite 845IW, then DWG. what do you think is best ??

how bout...polish, DWG, 845, DWG

(I have not tried this.. just a thought)

BigJimZ28
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I really dont believe in using them "under" anything"....

really? next time you do a SS paint job (or any paint you want to really pop)

try RMG under a nice Nuba

a.k.a. Patrick
02-14-2008, 10:29 PM
BJ, I dont use either of those products anymore...........I couldnt tell ya the last time I did a SS job anyway, lol......

The glazes appearance never lasted through a wash or two anyway. I mean youve got so many oils between the glaze and Nuba, they all just sort of intermingled.......and "floated"....

It was something I just didnt care for. Im certain others have a use and find great value with....but for me? No more. Glazes are only used as an enhancer, albeit temporary for a show, or night out.

NSXTASY
02-14-2008, 10:32 PM

I would just use the collinite on bare paint. I really like DWG on top, it is short lived, but the look is outstanding. I have a hard time noticing the subtleties of a glaze under anything.

I like to add a coat of DWG on top of whatever wax/sealant I`m using every few weeks and when its time to add another coat of wax/sealant know that they will lay down without issue. Its so effortless to apply and the results speak for themselves.

So, I would sandwich the 845/DWG/845/DWG/845, not all at one time, just over time.

Brian_Brice
02-14-2008, 10:52 PM

IMO of course.

I agree completely with the genre of glazes and polishes I use, I assume there are products out there that call themselves polish that actually do nothing but enhance, however I have never encountered a glaze that promotes correction. Beats me, all I know is if it doesn`t correct, it`s not a polish in my terminology, and if it adds depth without correction it`s a glaze.

aabablusaan
02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I like Megs 7 under NXT...I don`t have the skill to do full corrections, so this is what keeps me tithed over until i get it done.

wannafbody
02-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Traditional oil based glazes served the purpose of glossing up single stage paints. Since most new paints are clear coated oil based glazes aren`t really neccessary. I`d stick with an acrylic based glaze such as DWG and top with a more durable sealant.