PDA

View Full Version : Shun the nonbelievers! (Another ONR thread)

cjv998
02-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Alright everyone, here`s another first-time ONR user thread. I have a confession to make...ready? My car hasn`t been washed in the last 2-3 months (late November was the last time it got washed IIRC :eek:). I finally broke down and bought some ONR, and all I can say, is I wish I had picked it up back in November, so my car wouldn`t have gone so long without being washed. Admittedly, I probably should have at least ran through the brushless wash to get most of the salt/grime off first, because I noticed the hood looks more swirled than I remember it being before, but it`s not too big of a deal, because I planned on polishing the car one last time this spring, before I sell it. I`ll try and get some night pics tonight to see if the swirls are any more apparent. Sorry about the lack of decent after pics, my camera was in the middle of dying on me. After looking over the pictures, my camera apparently likes over-exposing every shot I take too. Oh well.

Before; I`ve got my work cut out for me:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0180.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0181.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0184.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0185.jpg

The water afterwards; pretty gross:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0186.jpg

And...after pics:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0187.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0188.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/cjv998/PICT0189.jpg

Redfire03
02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Was the car in an accident? It looks like it is two different colors.

cjv998
02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Was the car in an accident? It looks like it is two different colors.

Good eye. I know the rust has been repaired on the driver`s side quarter panel, so it is a slightly different color, which is noticeable when the car is clean (I`m assuming that`s the area you see). It was also in an accident (front passenger-side impact, according to Carfax) back in 2000 (before I owned it), so there`s a crease in the passenger-side front fender, and the front bumper is misaligned, and the hood has some odd dents in it, like someone sat on it. I`m sure the list goes on, but to answer your question, yes, it`s been in its share of accidents (hey, it is a 1992 model after all), but I`m betting you see the repaint due to the rust repair.

kkreit01
02-15-2008, 10:17 AM
That can`t be 2-3 months worth of MO salt. Mine look worse than that after driving 1 day of KC salt. (more rain/snow coming this weekend :(. )

CleanGSR
02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Looks good. Rolla Missouri huh? I live in St. James and work in Rolla/Waynesville (courthouses). I recognize that parking lot. I used to live in those apartments across the road a long time ago. Anyway, it looks really good. I`ve got some ONR, but have never really had much luck with the stuff. It seems like I can never get the dirt to release from my sponge/mitt when using ONR. I did an ONR wash a couple weeks ago and marred the paint to death. Next warm day I`m going to have to spend a few hours with the PC

cjv998
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Looks good. Rolla Missouri huh? I live in St. James and work in Rolla/Waynesville (courthouses). I recognize that parking lot. I used to live in those apartments across the road a long time ago. Anyway, it looks really good. I`ve got some ONR, but have never really had much luck with the stuff. It seems like I can never get the dirt to release from my sponge/mitt when using ONR. I did an ONR wash a couple weeks ago and marred the paint to death. Next warm day I`m going to have to spend a few hours with the PC

Yep, going to UMR...err, M S&T. I had the same problem with my Cobra microfiber cloths not releasing the dirt. I figure I`ll look at the paint over the next few days, and make my final decision about ONR then. Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I don`t think it turned out too badly for my first time using ONR.

They`ve only salted the roads a few times down here. My paint tends to hide dirt fairly well, being brown and all. It looked way worse in person, too; my camera didn`t do a great job, and I was a little rushed anyway when I took the pictures, because I wanted to get to trying out the ONR.

ej8tunerman
02-15-2008, 11:25 AM

I thought you made a thread awhile back talking about how much you loved ONR and it produced no marring on your soft black paint? Not talking sh*t, but I was just blown away when I saw that your are no longer a fan of ONR.

CleanGSR
02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I thought you made a thread awhile back talking about how much you loved ONR and it produced no marring on your soft black paint? Not talking sh*t, but I was just blown away when I saw that your are no longer a fan of ONR.

Yeah, I actually had a couple of good runs with it when I first started using it, but this last time or two, I swirled the finish pretty bad with it and it wasn`t even as dirty as last time. Honestly, I had done such a good job at keeping the swirls to a minimum over the winter and then after the ONR rinse they looked bad...and I don`t know why.

In the defense of ONR, I haven`t given up on it yet and will probably test it out (on one panel) to compare to conventional wash. After this last time, I`m just a little leary since I don`t know what I did different.

Keep in mind that this is on soft Honda/Acura clearcoat so I may have just sneezed or something while wiping a panel and swirled the entire car.

Edit: I shouldn`t have said that I`ve never had much luck with the stuff (I have in the past), just recently I haven`t had much luck.

cjv998
02-28-2008, 06:31 PM
An update, since I`ve had more time to evaluate the paint`s condition after the ONR wash: The paint is more swirled than before, especially on the hood (which I speculate is original, soft Honda paint...as opposed to the rest of the car; I know for sure that the passenger side door and driver`s side quarter panel have been repainted, I think the passenger side front fender has new paint, and I imagine more of the car has been resprayed as well).

However, the Cobra MF`s I used are bad about swirling the paint, even when I`m just QD-ing or wiping off lube after claying (they`re small teal-colored ones; I got them for free when I ordered my PC...from CMA or Autogeek I think, I forget which.) At any rate, I don`t care for them at all.

Also, in retrospect, I really should have pre-soaked the car by spraying it down with some of the ONR solution I made up. After all, it was really dirty...I even noticed after I was finished that there was a fair amount of debris at the bottom of the bucket...not just dust/dirt, but it was actually larger grains of what looked like sand (now that I think about it, they may have put sand on some of the roads at one point when it snowed...that explains that, and also helps explain how my car got more swirled than most peoples` after the ONR...along with this being my first time using ONR and my car`s soft OEM paint on several panels).

At this point I`m going to try ONR again this weekend with my Eurow sheepskin mitt and a Pakshak WW MF for drying, and see if I get any more swirls (I may try and get some nice pics of the swirls on the hood at that point as well). I`ve been seeing small areas on the car that I missed last time, and it`s driving me insane (like the bottom edge of the lower black trim...I guess you could say the side skirts...also I missed the black plastic piece on the driver`s side wiper arm...just stuff like that)

Chris@Optimum
02-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Yea, technique`s important and that may be one of the reasons they don`t sell it at parts stores. I bump it to 1oz per gal instead of 1/2oz on dirty cars, grit guard is a must (IMO), and I really like a GS for the media. Dip and sqeeze, Dip and sqeeze, Dip and sqeeze frequently to prevent marring; if it`s in the bucket then it ain`t in the sponge.

jwgarrison
02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
What is this onr I keep hearing about. I might want to try some.

BigJimZ28
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
What is this onr I keep hearing about. I might want to try some.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

cjv998
03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
ONR`d again yesterday, this time using a Lowe`s ProLine GS and Pakshak WW MF to blot the car dry. Still got swirls... Even considering I have soft Honda paint, something must be wrong with my technique. Does anyone have any advice on something I may be doing wrong? I`ll try this one more time in a few weeks using my Eurow sheepskin mitt, and see if that cuts down on the marring I`m introducing, but after that it`s back to a conventional wash at my parents` house, followed by a much-needed polish.