PDA

View Full Version : Trim Adhesive Tape Prep..

AL-53
07-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Hello
I hav a 2004 Ford Ranger..I have put on bed rail protectors and a tailgate edge protector last year.

Today I removed them to check conditions underneath them as the was no protection product under them. They are held on the surface with 3M Trim adhesive Tape. Well I cleaned the surface with a orange solvent to remove any residual adhesive and then a quick wipe of alcohol.

Now my question is can I add some paint protection under them such as OCW..Nxt..UPP.or any of the polymer sealants to add some protection and not have a adhesive tape bonding issue. I know any wax product will not work but do not know about a polymer product.

Any product with silicone is a no no also..

Any advice would be helpful...

P.S. the paint looked good under them..but was dirty due to a space caused by the little height of the tape.. it does not fit exactly flush..the tape is the thickness of a nickel..

Thank You

Al

Beemerboy
07-20-2005, 01:30 PM
My personal feeling is that I would clean the area, prep for the new tape and re-seal it back up...........The liner is going to protect the paint from oxidation and that should do it. If you put anything on the surface such as a sealant that might keep the tape from getting a good bond........that my .02

Koop
07-20-2005, 05:52 PM
This is what i`ve done in the past. I put down a layer of masking/painters tape where the liner is going to be taped down and the detail like normal over everything. Lift the tape then install the liner. Always seemed like the best of both worlds to me. Only tried it twice, but it worked well both times.

AL-53
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the help so far....It is not a bedliner ..just caps that fit on the bed rails..like this

http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_gnn.aspx?p_id=1982&se=bushwacker_bed_rail_ridge_back

I have a spray in liner...

these are the same ones I have..I have a roll of the 3M tape..it is 1 1/2 inches wide..it is thier high bond version...reason I want to know if a sealant can be used... is water will trap under them..and in the winter I bet some salt will settle in also...

Thanks
Al