PDA

View Full Version : Why own more than one polishing pad

Pages : [1] 2

Finaltheorem47
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I always see people say to have like 3 of every pad. I bought a kit and have one of each and I don`t understand why I`d need 2-5 more of the same pad. Can anyone fill me in?

awahl63
02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
What if you drop a pad? Or the pad gets a little dirt if you knick the trim. I made the mistake of using a slightly dirty pad once before (on a black car no less) and I will NEVER make that mistake again.

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Also, the pads tend to get caked up with polish, so having more than one pad saves a ton of time. If you are doing it with one pad, you have to stop every now and then and go clean the pad. If you have multiple pads, then you can just swap out the pads and clean them all when you are done. Saves me loads of time.

CleanGSR
02-13-2008, 11:40 AM
What if you try a polish and it isn`t doing a good enough job. In this case I`ll first try a more aggressive polish with the same type of pad before trying a more aggressive pad. I couldn`t do that if I only had one pad so I like to have at least 2 of each type of pad.

Example...Green Propel pad and #80 isn`t cutting enough so I`ll grab SSR2.5 and a second green pad (so I`m not mixing polishes) and see if that works before jumping to SSR2.5 w/Orange pad.

Finaltheorem47
02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
oh okay, thanks a lot guys

Macruz19
02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I have 3 or 4 of each color (orange/white/yellow) but I will need an extra CCS white pad for my AIO. I think I have too many orange 4" pads.

BigJimZ28
02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
polish out an oxidized SS paint job one time and you will know why

RTexasF
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM

Boy ain`t that the truth, I always seem to get red ones.

detaildoc
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
It is a good idea to dedicate a pad for a particular polish and not mix different polishes on the same pad, so having more than one will allow you to dedicate it.

Invigor
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM

haha, yup! Did a black 83 Olds Hurst the other day....oyyy.

Scottwax
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Words to live by.

imported_Chris223
02-15-2008, 02:25 AM
I buy pads cheap, and usually a couple of each... eventually they fall apart. I bought the clearance Woflgang pads from Autogeek last summer, the backing is sorta starting to peal off the back of one, but it`s still very usable. However, I really love the LC CCS pads I bought (the ones with the dimples) I love using them, and plan to get more of them when I need them.

rkf76
02-16-2008, 08:57 PM
I always see people say to have like 3 of every pad. I bought a kit and have one of each and I don`t understand why I`d need 2-5 more of the same pad. Can anyone fill me in?A few reasons; pad gets contaminated, pad gets caked up, pad tears/rips or gets damaged, maybe you decide to use a different polish after doing a panel.

Manual4Life07'
02-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Also, the pads tend to get caked up with polish, so having more than one pad saves a ton of time. If you are doing it with one pad, you have to stop every now and then and go clean the pad. If you have multiple pads, then you can just swap out the pads and clean them all when you are done. Saves me loads of time.

If your pads are getting really caked up with wax, ive found that (liquid) laundry soap and hot water works the best with removing that, or dish detergent, but make sure you rinse it well.

A- If you are using one pad, be sure to clean it frequently, start with the main body, then roof, then underbody (under the trim). I usually clean my pad every other panel, then ring it out really well so its damp, then use it again, works better. Sometimes the pad gets really dirty and you have to clean it alot.

B- If you are using more then one pad, it doesn`t make too much of a difference, aside from the fact that you dont have to break to wash your pad as much, just switch. If I use more than one pad, I break that up too, every time i clean the car, main body pad, roof and door pad, and under trim pad. Sometimes different pads work well with different polishes and even colors.

Pad typically don`t get torn up easily, unless they get caught on exterior badges and other toublesome spots. Also i recommend buying some better pads, more expensive but definately worth the cost. Don`t use one pad for many different polishes, mixing is a bad thing, and you will soon regret it. If you want to change and you have only one pad, i would wash it about 3-5 times with soap and hot water to THOROUGHLY clean the pad, then use a different wax.

Seankf1105
02-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Its like asking yourself "why own more than one microfiber towel for each use?" :chuckle:

I buy pads cheap, and usually a couple of each... eventually they fall apart. I bought the clearance Woflgang pads from Autogeek last summer, the backing is sorta starting to peal off the back of one, but it`s still very usable. However, I really love the LC CCS pads I bought (the ones with the dimples) I love using them, and plan to get more of them when I need them.

arent Wolfgang Pads made by LC?