PDA

View Full Version : PO85RD, or PO87MC. Which is finer?

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Which of these two has the finest cut and gives the best look? PO87MC is ranked above 85RD on Menzerna`s chart, but I was reading something and a lot of people said 87MC was the finest. Just a little confused here.

Thanks!

jswift2000
02-13-2008, 11:51 AM
DetailDoc asked a similar question not too long ago so you may want to do a search.

Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, menzerna compound, (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html)

As I understand it, PO87MC has a cut of 1 and a gloss of 5. use a gray or blue pad...

I hope this helps.

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
In that thread detaildoc is talking about PO87MC and PO85U, I am inquiring about PO85RD, not PO85U. All these stupid letters and numbers are so confusing!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
As stated in a post by Jeff Silvers (menzerna USA) these variants of the originals are specifically made to perform based on line rates and conditions of the OEM it was "tweaked" for.. he concluded his post by saying that most if not all detailers would have a very, very tough time telling the difference between them

detaildoc
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Which of these two has the finest cut and gives the best look? PO87MC is ranked above 85RD on Menzerna`s chart, but I was reading something and a lot of people said 87MC was the finest. Just a little confused here.

Thanks!

Ah, Menzerna confusion strikes again :wall 85RD has a cut of 1.5 and 87MC a cut of 1 (don`t just go by the position on the chart, but by the cut level). In addition, RD is meant for resistant clearcoats (though a lot of people use it on regular clearcoats). Hence, RD is definitely more abrasive. On a regular clearcoat, MC will finish better (others here have experienced the same). I found that RD as well as SIP (also for resistant clearcoats) can be more grabby and finicky on regular clearcoats.

hamken
02-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Where can you purchase PO87MC?

hamken
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Has anyone used both? If so, do they yield the same level of gloss?

detaildoc
02-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Has anyone used both? If so, do they yield the same level of gloss?

I did and as I mentioned, MC finished better for me with a bit more gloss and better clarity, but it also depends on your paint and process.

SpoiledMan
02-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Interesting that PO87MC (Final Polish II) now has a gloss level of 5 as it used to be 4. If they both *supposedly* finish at a 5 then in theory you shouldn`t be able to tell a difference. I`ve never finished and left my car with nothing on it after FPII but I have after 85RD and I have never had as many compliments as I did then. I`m talking soft Honda clear here as well.

Setec Astronomy
02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Interesting that PO87MC (Final Polish II) now has a gloss level of 5 as it used to be 4.

Does that mean they changed the product or only re-evaluated its rating? When did this happen? I didn`t even get to use mine yet, and here my finish will be stuck at 4 instead of 5...and I don`t even have an amp that goes to 11...:(

(The beginning of that was a serious question, despite the later levity)

SpoiledMan
02-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Good question Mr No Name! :D

Don`t take my word for it though as I don`t have a name either.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Good question Mr No Name! :D

Don`t take my word for it though as I don`t have a name either.

Wanna hear something funny.. after reading that thread I took my name out of my signature:rofl

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Lol. Do I need to offer my name? Cuz I know there are a select few (ok, 1 person) that won`t respond if I don`t offer my name.

SpoiledMan
02-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Lol. Do I need to offer my name? Cuz I know there are a select few (ok, 1 person) that won`t respond if I don`t offer my name.

Your name`s easy....Hockey Playa 13th

That`s a lot of generations with that name!:cooleek:

Junebug
02-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Well, I went to the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to be out of the rain......