PDA

View Full Version : Edge Wave Pads, anyone have the center adapter hit the surface?

Pages : [1] 2

alkemyst
02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I bought the full edge setup and noticed the foam is a bit thinner in the middle than the 2k pads wherever a valley is in the eggcrate material.

I am worried mostly around raised items like mirrors, spoilers, door handles...

anyone have experience with these?

Thanks

Ã…

Junebug
02-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Are you using a PC or rotary? I have the 8" edge pads for my rotary, I don`t think it`s posible to hit something with the adapter. But, personally for tight places and especially door handles, I use my PC and LC pads.

alkemyst
02-12-2008, 09:19 AM
PC7424 I will be using. 6.5" pads

Mikeyc
02-12-2008, 10:02 AM
I`ve been using Edge pads for a few years and I`ve never hit the adapter on anything. The only time it`s even a risk is when you have something sticking straight up from the car`s surface like the windshield washer sprayers on the hoods of some cars. However, I would never run a polisher over those anyway.

imported_agentf1
02-12-2008, 08:06 PM
I too use the Edge adapter and have never had an issue with the adapter hitting anything and I even use 4", 6.5" and 8" pads. It is pretty well recessed and far away from the paint. I am even using the Edge system on my Makita BO6040 Forced Rotation Random Orbital buffer now. Love the system.

alkemyst
02-12-2008, 08:28 PM
You guys using the WAVE pads or the standard ones.

I am talking about the waves as there seems to be alot less material around the adapter.

Mikeyc
02-12-2008, 09:20 PM

I am talking about the waves as there seems to be alot less material around the adapter.

I have experience using both.

alkemyst
02-13-2008, 09:53 AM
mikeyc, what do you prefer for non-rotary use? This is my first go with `wave` pads on my 7424, but this is also the first PC I have owned.

alkemyst
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I am probably going to try the regular edge pads next time...the waves seem to take a beating on emblems and the like where my normal pads did not.

The blue polishing pad I got had almost no foam next to one side of the center hole. I didn`t see any problems caused, but it`s a little scary to have that metal adapter so close to the paint.

imported_agentf1
02-20-2008, 08:23 PM

Yes, both.

imported_agentf1
02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I am probably going to try the regular edge pads next time...the waves seem to take a beating on emblems and the like where my normal pads did not.

The blue polishing pad I got had almost no foam next to one side of the center hole. I didn`t see any problems caused, but it`s a little scary to have that metal adapter so close to the paint.

You will NEVER hit that adapter. Even it you tore up your pad and barely had any pad left which is HIGHLY unlikely it would hit the plastic center plate before it could get to the adapter. In other words, you will be fine.

beachcities
02-20-2008, 09:07 PM
IN my experience the edge pads were useless. The chrome paint on the adapter flakes off revealing cheap brass. The pads seemed to get "wobbly" after about a week. Eventaully the ball bearing on the end of the adapter fell out on a job. And the adapter definately can hit something on the regular edge. it happened to us 2 times. The pads also seemed to coarse for what they were rated at and regularly left marring. The negatives outweighed the positived on these pads.(Having a double sided pads saves mabye 20 seconds per detail).

Mikeyc
02-20-2008, 09:34 PM
mikeyc, what do you prefer for non-rotary use? This is my first go with `wave` pads on my 7424, but this is also the first PC I have owned.

I prefer the flat pads on a PC. There was just something about the wave pads on my PC that I didn`t like. I`ll give them a try on my Flex when the new Flex-Edge adapter is released.

IN my experience the edge pads were useless. The chrome paint on the adapter flakes off revealing cheap brass. The pads seemed to get "wobbly" after about a week. Eventaully the ball bearing on the end of the adapter fell out on a job. And the adapter definately can hit something on the regular edge. it happened to us 2 times. The pads also seemed to coarse for what they were rated at and regularly left marring. The negatives outweighed the positived on these pads.(Having a double sided pads saves mabye 20 seconds per detail).

Hmmm . . . I`ve heard of some people having problems like this. I`ve not had one problem with my Edge pads or the adapter. The adapter has a lifetime warranty. So, if you have any problems with it just send it back and you`ll get a new one.

James Thomas
02-21-2008, 05:41 AM
If any one gets a bad product, i.e. a thin pad, bad adapter or whatever and doesn`t do anything except "feel unsure or unsafe" about it and then uses it anyway / not return it and request a proper replacementt......... how would anyone honestly feel bad for you?

The adapter is chrome plated brass, not painted. The pads don`t / should not wobble and just to make a clear picture, brass is not cheap at all and is on of the better materials available for this type of adapter. It`s got a lifetime warranty and it sounds as if you may have gotten a bad one (hey .. it happens!) and or it has been improperly maintained or mistreated. Just snap a pic and e-mail them. Five bucks says you get a replacement PDQ.

But you will never know unless you tell THEM about it. Post back and let us know how they handle it.

_________

James

rwisejr
02-21-2008, 07:01 AM
They have great customer service and they will replace them asap. Arron the edge I think posts on these forums and stands behind his products. Unforunately sometimes there are few units that fail but its how the manufacturer addresses the situation. But you must give them a fair shot at correcting the problem first. I`m quite sure they will make good .Contact them and as stated let us know the out come.