PDA

View Full Version : Micromarring Issue

imported_Moutee
02-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Hey everyone. I`m in need of some serious help!

I`ve read from several people on this board that they will let a Carnauba sit on the paint for upwards of 5 minutes before removal. What is the best way to remove the wax without causing any micromarring? I lay the wax down THIN, spreading it evenly with clean, bare palms of my hands, but removal is extremely difficult; much of the wax remains caked on and requires extra effort to remove which I`d imagine causes the aforementioned micromarring. Any input is greatly appreciated!

- Marc

BigJimZ28
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
make up your mind are you putting on thin or is it caked on it can`t be both

I find it is much easier to apply it thin with an applicator

imported_artronnie
02-11-2008, 08:44 PM
5 minutes? I don`t think it`s enough for the Carnauba to dry. I found that by letting them to dry to a haze (I usually let them dry for 1 hour) will make the removal easy.

imported_Moutee
02-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry BigJim, I should have been more clear. By caked, I meant stuck, hence why it`s so difficult to remove.

Thank you both for your advice.

LanceM
02-12-2008, 12:25 PM
ive used an applicator. If it gets stuck to the paint, then spray a lil qd on it.

pogo123
02-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Some carnauba waxes like Pinnacle Souveran, are designed to be wiped on and then immediately wiped off without any drying time at all, and some need to dry to a haze before removal.

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-12-2008, 02:21 PM
If you are having trouble getting it off, I assume it`s on too thick. If you apply it thinly, it should come off without too much effort. And I usually apply it to the whole car, and then go around and take it off in the same order I applied it. Works fine for me.

imported_bpfoley
02-12-2008, 02:38 PM
try using a MF bonnet on a PC. I usually put a bonnet over a coarser pad, like my LC yellows

salty
02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
What wax are you using, what do the instructions say.

Accumulator
02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I`ve posted before about how I`ve switched to letting Souveran (and my other waxes too) set up before buffing off; I tried it after being challenged to by Mike Phillips (and he was right).

If you apply the proper amount of wax to a properly-prepped surface, and remove with an appropriately soft (and effective) buffing medium in a clean environment, there shouldn`t be any problem. But that *is* a fair number of things you`ve gotta get right ;)

I`ve let Souveran set up for over an hour with no problems, even on the *very* soft black ss lacquer door window frames on the XJS. Even "tough" waxes like #16 and 476S buff right off if you do it all right.

Disclaimer: trying this with an ultra-high carnauba content wax like a Zymol EG might be a different story.

KnuckleBuckett
02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Apply it with an application sponge. Let it cure for at least an hour. Remove with buffer and soft MF towel/bonnet.