PDA

View Full Version : Clearcoat haze - so desperate

Anik321
02-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Guys, so I am painting a motorcycle (People simply frequent the car forums more thats why I am posting here, please dont hate)

THis is what I am doing on a `05 Honda CBR600RR w/ Gloss Black NH1Z paint code:

1. Removed old paint to bare plastic

2. sanded down to 600

3. 2to3 coats of Primer

4. Sanded primer to 600

5. Applied basecoat (2coats, even coverage)

6. sanded basecoat w/ 2000grit to remove slight imperfections

7. Applied clearcoat

8. sanded clearcoat w/ 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit

9. buff/cutted using 3M Perfect-IT 3000 rubbing compound (PN06062)

10. Polished using Mcguires Mirrorglaze Dual Action Cleaner/polisher (number 83)

I have a very nice shine (can see everystrand of hair on my beared in the reflection, remember this in on NH1Z black from colorrite!) but still have a slight haze compared to the stock part on the bike. And the depth of the shine does not seem as much as the stock part. I can say this much that it looks better from an orange peel perspective.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what additional steps I should be taking? I am going crazy over this.

BigJimZ28
02-10-2008, 10:44 PM
have you polished before?

and what machine ore you using?

you could just need a finner polish

also fresh paint is soft and often hard to finish out

Anik321
02-11-2008, 01:01 AM
have you polished before?

and what machine ore you using?

you could just need a finner polish

also fresh paint is soft and often hard to finish out

1. I have not polished before. Learning!

2. Please dont be upset, but I used a drill/driver with a polishing attachment. Most motorcycle parts are two small to use something like a DW849.

3. Finner polish? Any recommendation?

4. can you kindly explain "also fresh paint is soft and often hard to finish out" ?

Thank you guys,

nonsensez9
02-11-2008, 02:42 AM
try m80 with a polishing pad

kwikrs
02-11-2008, 07:48 AM
my guess is the haze is from sanding the basecoat. I am no expert, but i have painted a few things and I don`t think you ever want to sand and paint right on top of it again. I think you will always have that haze, unless you repaint it all again, other than that you process looks good.

Anik321
02-11-2008, 11:02 PM
dude, you can sand basecoat all you want. infact it allows you to put down a generally smoother clearcoat.

what else could cause the haze guys?

imported_themightytimmah
02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
You probably need to follow #83 with a finer polish - if it`s not broken down perfectly (e.g. first time polishing), it`ll leave a bit of dullness. Try a good finishing polish - Meguiar`s #80, etc, and a soft pad for fresh paint.

imported_smprince1
02-12-2008, 12:07 PM
You probably need to follow #83 with a finer polish - if it`s not broken down perfectly (e.g. first time polishing), it`ll leave a bit of dullness. Try a good finishing polish - Meguiar`s #80, etc, and a soft pad for fresh paint.

I agree .... #83 on black is tough ...not to mention this person admits to just learning.

I would also suggest a finer polish and a finishing pad....should clean up the haze and restore depth of shine.

Good luck!

Cyclopsblown34
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
You are not supposed to sand the color coat in a base clear. there are several reasons not to.

The clear relies on the chemicals in the unsanded base for adhesion. The two work together to form a bond, remove one component and you removed half the bond.

The sanding scratches no matter how fine of paper you use will appear as haze in the final finish.

The clear will peel in due time.

Right now you are relying on the tension of the unbroken surface of clear to maintain the shine. As soon as there is a scratch of any sort in the clear, it will peel off at every opportunity.

You can sand clear between coats but you are not supposed to ever sand the color coat.