PDA

View Full Version : Surprising SIP Discovery!!

Pages : [1] 2

OCKlasse
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
So those of you who may remember my screen name remember that my dad`s Ferrari was TRASHED from the dealership after just ONE wash. Well, he didn`t learn his lesson. He took his CL55 to Fletcher Jones, and low and behold they reintroduced him to swirl city.

I am currently without a buffer as I have sold off my PC and am awaiting my Flex. When he came home, I decided to try a little spot with SIP by hand. To my complete astonishment, the paint was brought to 95% perfection after just two passes! Mind you that this car has Ceramiclear!

Please excuse my poor iPhone photos, but you can somewhat make out the distinct difference between the two.

Before (I don`t think they use water to wash their cars :nervous2:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/photo5.jpg

After (I know it`s hard to make out, but you can tell in that the reflection of the light is clear and not hazed as in the first pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/trefiveincognito/photo6.jpg

dsms
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Thats pretty impressive, I would never think SIP by hand would come out like that. How long did it take you?

OCKlasse
02-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Thats pretty impressive, I would never think SIP by hand would come out like that. How long did it take you?

1 minute of intensive rubbing :up

fergnation
02-10-2008, 01:59 AM
I just wish my dad had a Ferrari and a CL55. I would have been trying to trade details for drives everyday.

Todd@RUPES
02-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Did you wipe the area with prep-sol? (Not alcohol but actual body shop prep solvent). I think you might be suprised that most of those defects will return with one wipe down (maybe not, because I have never attempted this test on the MB paint, but I have on others and always had marring re-appear).

a.k.a. Patrick
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Did you wipe the area with prep-sol? (Not alcohol but actual body shop prep solvent). I think you might be suprised that most of those defects will return with one wipe down (maybe not, because I have never attempted this test on the MB paint, but I have on others and always had marring re-appear). Ya beat me to it. I have also heard of this ......

imported_grease
02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Kinda off-topic...

THOOO1 When you say not to use alcohol as a prep, why is that? I thought IPA was a great way to inspect your finish and prep it for sealants? What makes prep-sol better?

OCKlasse...has your dad learned yet? 2 cars in a row should be enough to convince him never to have the dealership sand his car down again.

Grimm
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I`m rather skeptical about this. It takes a couple minutes to properly work SIP with a PC, but you rubbed it by hand for a minute and removed all the defects in two passes? I think you need to take a second look after a wipe down as mentioned.

blkyukon
02-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I`m rather skeptical about this. It takes a couple minutes to properly work SIP with a PC, but you rubbed it by hand for a minute and removed all the defects in two passes? I think you need to take a second look after a wipe down as mentioned.

Actually working in a small area & work the polish in properly, you can get good results removing defects by hand. In smaller areas, with pressure and speed you can create some heat and break down the polish quicker than you can with a PC....finishing by hand without marring/hazing, though is a bit more difficult.

Todd@RUPES
02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Actually working in a small area & work the polish in properly, you can get good results removing defects by hand. In smaller areas, with pressure and speed you can create some heat and break down the polish quicker than you can with a PC....finishing by hand without marring/hazing, though is a bit more difficult.

What does tempature have to do with the equation?

Todd@RUPES
02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Kinda off-topic...

THOOO1 When you say not to use alcohol as a prep, why is that? I thought IPA was a great way to inspect your finish and prep it for sealants? What makes prep-sol better?

OCKlasse...has your dad learned yet? 2 cars in a row should be enough to convince him never to have the dealership sand his car down again.

Rydawg and I (amognst others) have noted that SIP, and more so 106ff, tend to require something more aggresive to remove the carriers from the paint (and reveal any defect masking). If you are going to use prep-sol, make sure you use it according to DuPonts directions.

kkjv1
02-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I`ve been using SIP by hand on hard to reach places like door handle areas. It somewhat diminishes the swirling/light scratches and you have to work at it for a few minutes.

brwill2005
02-10-2008, 02:49 PM
What does tempature have to do with the equation?

Heat is actually an important component of polishing. Heat obviously aides polishing by softening the paint slightly, allowing the abrasives to do their job. In addition some abrasives require heat to properly break down; although with SIP that may not be the case.

Todd@RUPES
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Heat is actually an important component of polishing. Heat obviously aides polishing by softening the paint slightly, allowing the abrasives to do their job. In addition some abrasives require heat to properly break down; although with SIP that may not be the case.

Which abrasives do you know that require an increase in tempature to aid the breaking down process?

As far as warming the paint to allow defect removal, most experts in the field I have spoken too would agree that there is a correlation, though the difference in the hardness of paint between 80 degrees and 150 degrees would be very small and not noticable.

Heat is an UNWANTED by product of friction. In the old days, it was believed you could "reflow" lacquer by warming it enough, but it is sad to see some people perpetuate that myth today. Most products work better when warm, but this is a result of the carrier and not the abrasive.

OCKlasse
02-11-2008, 02:41 AM

Trust me. I was just as skeptical as you were. I would not think that it would do what it did, but I swear it did.

I am going to attempt to do the whole car this week by hand. If I do, I will definitely take pics!