PDA

View Full Version : My newest detailing gadget acquisitions! [NO 56k]

Pages : [1] 2

imported_truzoom
02-08-2008, 06:41 PM
So I went into Harbor Freight to buy a $2 roll of masking tape and came out with these little gems..

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8093/dsc02447largecp3.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7930/dsc02448largepd6.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/5251/dsc02449largetg8.jpg

Both have been available under brand names for some time. The CO2 gun was marketed as a PC duster and the sanding stick was sold by 3M for a while.

What I was most interested in was the CO2 blaster for blowing water out from crevices after a wash. I always feel ripped off when I buy those large hairspray sized cans of compressed air, so the idea of using cheap CO2 cartridges was appealing (and the overall size of the package as well). I think you can grab a box of 12 CO2 cartridges for around $3-$4 at your favorite Wal-Mart.

Now more pics of the blaster...

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/6986/dsc02450largefo2.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3201/dsc02451largeen9.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6676/dsc02452largeng8.jpg

Overall construction is good, as you can see you have two different nozzles, so I would hope the plastic nozzle was the appropriate choice when used around paint. It takes both threaded and non threaded cartridges. You just put one in the holder, then screw the top on and keep it secure. Short blasts seem to be the trick as this thing will fly.

The CO2 blaster was $9.99

The sanding pen was $4.99

Bebopp
02-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I can`t imagine the CO2 cartridges being any good at anything apart from blowing dust in the fan vents, and even then you`re better off using a rubber bulb type blower or a bike pump.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas, don`t contribute to pollution for very little gain!

imported_truzoom
02-08-2008, 07:16 PM
I can`t imagine the CO2 cartridges being any good at anything apart from blowing dust in the fan vents, and even then you`re better off using a rubber bulb type blower or a bike pump.

I have an unopened bottle of cola that you may be interested in preaching to then...:nono

Bebopp
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I have an unopened bottle of cola that you may be interested in preaching to then...:nono

And I have automobiles that also spew CO2 and other noxious gases - however, transportation is a necessity, and I minimize the use of it. Sodas are arguably bad for you, but CO2 cartridges to blow off excess water in your car is definitely wasteful and harmful especially since there are many alternatives available. Heck, even an electric leaf blower may be preferable (if your power supply doesn`t come from coal plants).

Just because it`s cheap doesn`t mean it`s good. But hey, if all you want is a pat on the back for posting your purchases, maybe you should just say so.

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Chill Mr. Treehugger! It`s like 3 oz of CO2, the earth will not explode! And yes, transportation is a necessity, but can`t you ride your bike, or take some form of public transportation? And I will say that sodas ARE bad for you. But I`m pretty sure the earth`s atmosphere isn`t suffering because of Coke.

Joseph K
02-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Shop vac w/ a removed filter is great for getting the water out of the mirrors, door handles, grille, etc.

miahman98
02-09-2008, 04:32 AM
How many CO2 cartridges will it take to get me a early summer? Just think, when I was a kid I theoretically could have had a never ending summer vacation if I used my pellet gun a little more. Greenhouse effect? You got to kidding.:wall

Hey truzoom, nice find and good idea.

imported_truzoom
02-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Shop vac w/ a removed filter is great for getting the water out of the mirrors, door handles, grille, etc.

Indeed, but you can keep one of these in your detailing box or keep it in your pocket as you go around drying off a vehicle. The MAIN purpose I see it for is areas where you KNOW water hides and is typically unaccessible. A couple of tablespoons of water always seems to get into the nook where the side mirrors on my truck meet the door, and I have no reasonable way of getting the corner of a towel into the crack, so some compressed air would be useful.

Detailing aside, I`m glad I found one for a reasonable price so I can use it to dust the inside of my electronic components. :) (or as Beebop said, the HVAC vents in some cases)

SShine
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM

maybe you should stop breathing then. You know, to save the planet.

Setec Astronomy
02-09-2008, 10:39 AM
maybe you should stop breathing then. You know, to save the planet.

If I recall, methane is about 9 times more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2, so it`s probably more effective to....you know...stop eating beans, than to stop breathing. Maybe we should have them make more of those CO2 cartridges...if we get enough bottled up, maybe global warming will stop.

Bebopp, tell me something, if all the greenhouse gases from fossil fuels and Zoomer blowing out his truck mirrors is the cause of global warming, what caused the warming that brought us out of the last ice age 10-11,000 years ago and continued through until several hundred years ago (Greenland is called Greenland, because it was green when the Vikings discovered it 900 years ago, even though it`s covered in ice and snow now)?

I`m not arguing that we are changing the atmosphere, and we well could be changing the climate, it`s just that we`ve had climate change well before TruZoom or the industrial age.

Invigor
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
haha wow. Quality thread. (free post, w00t)

Setec Astronomy
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
We might eventually find out that Dawn is responsible for global warming...better switch to Ajax!

Invigor
02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
We might eventually find out that Dawn is responsible for global warming...better switch to Ajax!

haha I just finished reading that thread. hahaha

jshillin
02-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Cool, let us know how the CO2 blaster works out for you. It would be really convenient if it works well.

BlueLibby04
02-09-2008, 01:42 PM

Are you kidding me dude? Do you really think that little bit of CO2 is going to do anything?! I drive a Jeep and it probably spits out that much when I start it. Nothing like using the gas that hybrids save! :xyxthumbs

Let us know if the little thing is useful. I dont think it will be since it wont put out enough air.