PDA

View Full Version : wax vs sealant against bird bombs

Suki22
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I have read on other forums that a wax in many cases will protect your painted surface better than a sealant against bird bombs etching your paint..... anyone else hear or know this to be true?

detaildoc
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I have read that also, but I think it is more dependent on the type of wax and sealant. I use Ultima PGP and I have never had any etching resulting from a bird bomb and I get those daily where I park my car. On the other hand, I did get some etching some time ago when I was using Meguiars.

JustinDetail
02-08-2008, 10:55 AM
One word. Collinite. ;)

imported_memnuts
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I have never noticed a difference between waxes or sealants over the last 4 decades and several different environments. With that stated, I am faithful about removing such attacks as soon as I get home or in-situ in extreme situations (i.e mid-summer southern Sun).

Don`t fool yourself into thinking that any product or product type is impervious to bird attacks without timely removal.:wavey

Accumulator
02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
One word. Collinite. ;)

Yep :xyxthumbs

Now I`m not presenting this as scientific/controlled-experiment objective fact...but the vehicles I use Collinite 476S paste wax on get less etching from stuff like this than the vehicles I use sealants on (including many layers of KSG). Right off-hand, I can`t recall a *single* instance where a Collinited vehicle got badly etched by a bird bomb; I`ve sure never had any bird bomb etch the beater-Blazer, and I don`t wash/QD them off of it, I just wait until it`s filthy enough for the next wash. Don`t recally it happening to the Volvo either, and I kept that outside 24/7.

BigJimZ28
02-08-2008, 09:40 PM
yes there are several threads about this on here also

here`s one: http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/89908-bird-deposits-still-damaging-clearcoat.html

I also think a wax like Collinite or #16 is much better to protect against

this kind of stuff

imported_mburnickas
02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
for me, CG5050 gives great "easy off" of droppings.