PDA

View Full Version : Best way to take care of these scratches?

t3nken
02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
So after about a month of ownership, I have a set of nice scratches near the door handle of my `08 WRX. It doesn`t look like a door hit it, since there`s no dent and the scratches are all at an upward angle. They`re pretty deep, and go into the primer in several areas. I`d like to fix it up to prevent further damage/possible rusting in the future.

The dealer wanted to repaint and blend both passenger door panels, which is ridiculous. Would applying touch-up paint and then evening out/polishing the area give a decent result? I`ve read about Subarus having iffy paint, so the prospect of sanding the surface doesn`t inspire much confidence. The times I`ve used touch-up paint on my old car resulted in raised scar-like bumps, which would probably look worse than the current scratches do.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7264/scratchdr7.th.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scratchdr7.jpg)

Accumulator
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
t3nken- Welcome to Autopia!

It`s always hard to say, not seeing it in person, but I think you could do OK (not perfect, but OK) with touchup paint. I don`t have time to describe the whole thing at present, but search on username Cytomax . He started a thread about a similar problem (except his also involved surface rust) just the other day, and I gave some suggestions that you might find helpful.

There`s a good tutorial on touchups around here somewhere, although I offer a few differing opinions in the aforementioned thred.

Sorry to respond with a "go search" :o (sheesh, that`s a lousy response for me to give a first-time poster and I really don`t mean to give offense or sound like I`m blowing you off). But I really do think you`ll find that thread useful. Check it out and post back about what I can clarify.

t3nken
02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
`I did a few searches, and it looks like my options are either a Langka-type solution to smooth the touch-up paint, or a trip to the detailer to see if they can buff it down. Depending on how much they want to charge, I just might go ahead and buy myself a sander + polishes.\r\n\r\nThanks!`

BlueZero
02-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Welcome t3nken!

Here`s the post Accumulator was referring too. Looks like some good information there. I`m happy I went looking for it. Thanks Accumulator.

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/102439-did-scratch-go-through-primer-high-res-pics-inside.html

Accumulator
02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
..Here`s the post Accumulator was referring too. Looks like some good information there. I`m happy I went looking for it. Thanks Accumulator...

Well, as I said to Cytomax, don`t thank me until after you see how the repair goes ;) Touching up metallics is always hit-or-miss for me :nixweiss Some of the ones on my M3 (which I didn`t really care about) turned out very nice, but the ones on my S8 (which I really *DO* care about) turned out just awful IMO. For the umpteenth time: have realistic expectations.

BTW, thanks for providing a link to that thread.