PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Cleaning Interiors - your porcess?

imported_Detailing Technology
02-07-2008, 08:18 AM
I have used vapor for over a year now, I just obtained poor results last night. This was the first odler car I have worked on using vapor.

I vapor cleaned the interior of a car last night as a demo for a new client. I used a Desidero. I didnt get the results I expected. Maybe its was the procedure, maybe it was the carpets.

I keep the vapor at the next to lowest setting to avoid introducing excess moisture to the interior. I use the triangle and spot brush heads to agitate the carpet and remove debris leather. I follow with yellow costco microfiber towels, and ocassionaly spot spray with Folex or an enzyme cleaner.

I do a pre and post vapor vacuum. Some really soiled spots get hit with the extractor side of the Desidero. I now apply Leatherique by hand while the leather is warm. I recently purchased a ridiculosly high powered ozone machine (XT-6000) which I blast the interior with for 1 hour if necessary, any more time is overkill.

The interior is also lit up with a 500 watt halogen hand held light to expose all.

What do you do to get success with a vapor cleaner on carpets and fabric seating?

Driven Auto Detail
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I bought a Daimer steamer at the end of December. I`m still tweaking my process, but here`s my thoughts...

First, I really wish the Daimer would have come with a horse hair brush. Nylon bristles are the softest attachment and it`s just too rough for most plastic and leather surfaces and it`s too much of a PITA to try and keep a towel wrapped around a small attachment. That was one of the nice things about the Desiderio. I`ve gone back to my usual water/woolite cleaning of all plastics and leather. Although, cup holders and crevices get steamed if they are bad. I protect everything with Optimum Protectant Plus.

As far as carpets are concerned, I also do a pre and post vacuum. I`ve found that even if I do a thorough pre vacuum, steaming finds more dirt particles and brings them to the surface. After I do a pre-vacuum, I treat the carpets with Folex. I let that soak in for a few minutes and then hit it with the steamer. I use the triangle brush on the mats but use a smaller nylon attachment (not the smallest though) to do the carpets inside the car. I find that this allows me to get in those hard to reach places. Right after I steam an area, I do a quick "scrub" with a MF towel to remove any "wet dirt". Once I`ve steamed all the carpets, I go back and do a quick post vacuum and add the carpet lines.

I also use steam on the headliner, but from a few inches away as to not melt the adhesive holding it on.

I had a Durrmaid extractor that I used to use on carpets, but it broke right before I got my steamer. I will at some point buy another hot water extractor because I think it`s still a commodity when doing really dirty carpets and upholstery. If my extractor was still working though, I would use it after steaming the carpets. This might eliminate the post vacuum step as well.

EDIT: My carpet process would also apply to upholstery as well.

imported_Detailing Technology
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
True about the Desidero - The heads have clips which hold the towels, very effective. Their spot nylon brush is too aggressive for most surfaces.

Are you scrubbing the Folex or just spraying it and removing it?

I think this was just a job for the extractor, you cant always rely on one tool to do all levels of work. Desidero is nice product offering both, but I would warn against dropping the heads on to the shop floor.

Driven Auto Detail
02-07-2008, 08:46 AM
The Daimer came with a couple larger brushes that have clips for towels, including the triangle brush. But, even the triangle brush is too big for doing the interior carpets. I use the triangle brush on the mats w/o any towel wrapped around the brush.

As far as the Folex, I vacuum an area and then spray it with Folex. Then I move to the next area to vacuum and repeat that process all the way around the vehicle. I then go back with the steamer on all those areas. If there are spots that need removing, I`ll agitate the Folex with my fingers after spraying the spot.

As you said, I think having a steamer and an extractor is the key. On the Aura that I recently posted in the C&B section, I could get away with steaming only since the carpets were in good condition and the car was so new. But, on my vehicles I think it would be necessary to use both the steamer and the extractor.