PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining Tonneau Covers?

azenthusiast
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
The last detail I did was a newer Toyota Tundra with a rolling rear tonneau cover. It was a dull gray color and appeared to have gotten saturated (cant think of a better word) with dust so that no matter what I did, it would not clean up for me. What is the best way to handle this? Obviously, I don`t want a greasy or glossy finish, just for it to look like new.

Btw, here is what I am talking about: http://www.rolltopcover.com/images/gmc/gmc2500hd-3600.jpg

jshillin
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Can you take a picture of yours?? Is it made of plastic or vinyl??

Should be able to scrub it with APC and dress it with something like Adams VRT

imported_KEVIN
02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
Can you take a picture of yours?? Is it made of plastic or vinyl??

Should be able to scrub it with APC and dress it with something like Adams VRT

Scrubing the cover is one thing, dressing them is another. Every type of dressing I have used has left major streak marks down the side of my truck after a rain. I don`t use anything, I just clean it and leave it alone, I have not tried the Tonneau dressing that some company`s sell ( Tonneau Tonic) but it would appear to be about the same as most.

This roll top type I have no experience with, would be more like metal paint fade.

Kevin

raadkins16
02-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Could you use 303 AP on it?

azenthusiast
02-07-2008, 10:09 AM
It is thick plastic. Sorry, the truck is about 30 miles from me, so I can`t get any pictures. Thanks for the input guys. I was thinkin about the 303 AP, but I don`t have any on-hand right now, but may need to order some. I felt horrible giving the truck back to them with this crappy faded gray tonneau cover. They are good family friends, but still, it reflects poorly on me.

Manual4Life07'
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Plastic? Why not simply use some shine on it. Not that big a deal unless it is BADLY damaged.

azenthusiast
02-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, I bought some AP over the weekend and used it on the wheelwheels of a 300C. After seeing how effective it was, I think it should do great on the tonneau. In fact, it even says "tonneau covers" on the bottle.

raadkins16
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Good to hear, AP works on a lot of things!

imported_mosborn9
02-11-2008, 10:03 PM
I have vinyl and use 303. Looks as good as the day I installed it and I`ve never had any streaking issues.

Showroom Shine
02-12-2008, 07:21 AM
I have the hard rubber tonneau covers (3 piece) on my EXT. This is my detail vehicle. So I always want it to look good. I`ve had good results ,first by keeping the covers clean, free of dust, oil,grease,etc. A good wipe down with a damp micro fiber. Then I apply 303

very lightly. More isn`t better to me. Some products I`ve used dry with an ashy look. Not the look I prefere!