PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy both a halogen and a stool?

Pages : [1] 2

BRODEY1
02-06-2008, 02:32 AM
I`d like to make one trip and get both items. I`d like a double lamp halogen with at least 1000watts, (open to any other suggestions), and a decent little rolling stool, what should I look for specifically?

Sears? Lowes? AdvanceAuto? Walmart?.....does it really matter, or can I just grab whatever is the cheapest?

This is strictly for my own vehicles, so these items will only be used 3-4 times a year

Thanks for any help, I`m hoping to break out the UDM this weekend and pop my cherry!!:clap: :clap:

BigAl3
02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
you can get the double tripod stands just about anywhere these days. walmart, sears, HD, lowes, etc., all carry them. just make sure it`s sturdy and doesn`t have cheap part(s) that will snap off or flimsy legs...

as far as the rolling stool... Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46319)

PWORLDSTANG
02-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Definitely sears. Look to spend about $55. I was looking at prices for these a month or so ago and it was $30 for the lights, and $25 for the stool. Both were Craftsman brand.

BlackElantraGT
02-06-2008, 04:45 AM
I can`t speak about the quality as I don`t have their halogen light nor any of their stool/creepers, but if I were to look for a one stop shop for these 2 items, Sears would be my first pick as I know with 100% certainty that both items can be had there(assuming there`s available stock, which there should be since it`s not Black Friday).

Radicalrev
02-06-2008, 04:51 AM
yep..sears has the twin halogen light 1000 watt for 29.99...not sure about the stool tho...

BRODEY1
02-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, thanks! Just what I was needing. One last, possibly dumb question, when looking at the dual lamp halogens, I`m looking for one that says "1000 watts", which I assume to mean each side is 500 watts, right?

BlackElantraGT
02-06-2008, 05:31 AM
yep, each side is 500 watts.

BRODEY1
02-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks, I figured so...better to ask now before I hit the stores.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Pneumatic "Torin - Big Red" stool can be had at Biglots for about $25

As far as Halogen goes you really get what you pay for.. the cheapie ones work but just feel cheap.. Not something I like.. I had one and returned it

I have since used the "husky" brand of dual halogens from Home Depot.. They are much more sturdy and have convenient features like being able to remove the lights from the stand to use on the floor and also an area to wind the cord..

Slik560
02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
I paid around $40 for a dual-lamp unit at Lowes. More $$$, but the stand is really sturdy - it seemed to be better built than ones I saw at HD and Ace Hardware. For what it`s worth

HansB
02-06-2008, 08:41 AM
I use an ACDelco stool. It is height adjustable and has a tray underneath. I bought it at the locl auto parts store, Murrays I think.

lland
02-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I just picked up a couple of 1000w halogen lamps from Big Lots. Not the highest quality but they were ticketed at $22 each and I had a coupon for 20% off so for $17.60 each, not bad.

LL

imported_Jakerooni
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I tried the Harbor freight lights. Pure junk. They don`t last for crap and will cause more hedaches than anything else. I even replaced the bulbs with high end sylvania bulbs and nothing. They last for all of 20 minutes before they burn out. (and no I never touched the bulbs with my bare skin) So I went to the Home depot and picked up their professional line halogens (1500 watts) and Oh boy do we have a winner. These things are a great purchase. I hear nothing but good reviews on the Sears Lights as well. I don`t think you`ll have to many issues as long as you stick with any sort of name brand.

BlackElantraGT
02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
During the Xmas season of 2006, a local SoCal hardware store called Ganahl Lumber had a light set on sale in their ad (maybe even the usual regular price?) for $30. It was made by Bayco and consisted of a 1000w tripod light, a fluorescent handheld wand, and an incandescent clip on work light.

It`s nowhere near the quality of the professional light stands, but it works well enough for my needs. If it breaks down tomorrow, it`s been well worth the $30, especially considering everything that I got with it. I almost want to get another set because it seems like my neighbors are borrowing my tripod light and using it more than me!

elk42
03-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I just picked up a couple of 1000w halogen lamps from Big Lots. Not the highest quality but they were ticketed at $22 each and I had a coupon for 20% off so for $17.60 each, not bad.

LL

i was just in BigLots tonight. i couldnt see the brand name of this 1000W halogen light product. anyone else try these out. thanks.