PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Seeking advice

CrxSiR-GNY
02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Travis and I have been detailing cars for quite some time now. I am finally taking the big step and starting my own mobile detial business.

What I am wondering is what size water tanks do you guys use? Is a 90 gallon tank too small? I dont have a trailer so I will be working out of the bed of my 03 GMC sierra so I dont want a tank that takes up too much room, but I need a tank that will hold enough water to get me through the day.

I am also wondering if you guys can fill me in on some high quality tire shine that does not end up down the side of the car as soon as the customer drives off. My old boss used a gliptone product that I can recall worked very well, but I am not 100% positive that is what he used.

What are your feelings about gliptone products? From my past experiences I liked working with their products over some of the cheaper products used in my past jobs, but I am sure you guys will be able to fill me in on better quality products.

Other than that if anybody knows any good mobile detail equipment and supply stored or what not in the West Palm Beach or South Florida area I am looking for good places to set up accounts.

Thanks in advanced for putting up with my newbie questions and any advice that you can offer!

CrxSiR-GNY
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
over 50 views and no advice? Any advice you can offer to a start up business regarding equipment and materials/chemicals would be greatly appreciated

imported_Jakerooni
02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I beleive almost every single question you asked can easily be answered by using the search button. This is actually a hot topic of late and there are already a ton of post answering all these questions. (which is probably why no one is answering you because they are getting tired of typing up the same stuff over and over and over again)

But to answer you the best I can (I`m not mobile I have my own set location shop) AFIK a 90 gallon tank would be decent enough. Most mobile detailers tend to use the customers water and electric. (there was a debate on this a little bit ago but I digress) Seems like alot of the mobile guys are an all in one unit as well. Meaning no trailer. A few guys have just awesome trailer set ups. (search to find out more)

I`ve personally have never heard of gliptone products.But I myself use a ton of products that no one else on here has ever heard of either. Get ready for the huge debate about why you just have to use (insert huge list of asanine prodcut names here) to be considered a real detailer. And if you don`t use (again insert huge list from Meg`s to Zanio to whatever) you`ll never be considered anything close to a professional.

now they won`t actually come out and say it but you`ll definatly get the vibe and undertones off all the fanboys on here that are very very very product loyal. I myself am an a$$. I don`t beat around the bush. I`m not pitculerly pleasent But I will never ever give you bad advise. If I tell you do something it`s because I`ve done it with great results. If I tell you to use something it`s because I`ve personally used it and know it will give great results. If I tell you not to use something it`s because I`ve used it and concluded it`s not worth it. I tend to hurt alot of ego`s on here because I am so blunt. But that`s not really my thing.

As far as start up equipment goes... Get a fair amount of product of choice. You`ll need soap, wax, polish, compund, glass cleaner and dressing to make a minimal list of start up. You can also add clay in there as well. Machines/accessories would be at least in my opinion a powerwasher a few buckets tons of towels (Microfiber and terrycloth) A shop vac and a rotary wheel (with the knowledge of how to use it) you can also opt ofr a Dual action orbiter as well for less chance of any damage (just takes alot longer but comes in great when applying wax) air compressor with air nozzel. (to blow out all the crevices and cracks. You can easily step up to a heated powerwasher and a Heated Carpet Extractor as well if desired. a few scrub brushes are key. The more you get into it the more that you`ll realize if you need anything else to enhance your detailing. Lots of micro niche specialty tools out there if you ever need them.

Just my bit of advise.. Take it with a grain of salt. But since no one else wanted to type it out at least you have something to read :D

CQMers
02-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Haha .........

Holden_C04
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I`ve personally have never heard of gliptone products.But I myself use a ton of products that no one else on here has ever heard of either. Get ready for the huge debate about why you just have to use (insert huge list of asanine prodcut names here) to be considered a real detailer. And if you don`t use (again insert huge list from Meg`s to Zanio to whatever) you`ll never be considered anything close to a professional.

Very true. Nonetheless, bad detailers inevitably use bulk products to increase profitability while good detailers attempt to improve the quality of their work to attain higher profitability. Its a different mindset and can at times be seen in the quality of the products they purchase, but not always. Use what works for you.

CrxSiR-GNY
02-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I beleive almost every single question you asked can easily be answered by using the search button. This is actually a hot topic of late and there are already a ton of post answering all these questions. (which is probably why no one is answering you because they are getting tired of typing up the same stuff over and over and over again)

But to answer you the best I can (I`m not mobile I have my own set location shop) AFIK a 90 gallon tank would be decent enough. Most mobile detailers tend to use the customers water and electric. (there was a debate on this a little bit ago but I digress) Seems like alot of the mobile guys are an all in one unit as well. Meaning no trailer. A few guys have just awesome trailer set ups. (search to find out more)

now they won`t actually come out and say it but you`ll definatly get the vibe and undertones off all the fanboys on here that are very very very product loyal. I myself am an a$$. I don`t beat around the bush. I`m not pitculerly pleasent But I will never ever give you bad advise. If I tell you do something it`s because I`ve done it with great results. If I tell you to use something it`s because I`ve personally used it and know it will give great results. If I tell you not to use something it`s because I`ve used it and concluded it`s not worth it. I tend to hurt alot of ego`s on here because I am so blunt. But that`s not really my thing.

As far as start up equipment goes... Get a fair amount of product of choice. You`ll need soap, wax, polish, compund, glass cleaner and dressing to make a minimal list of start up. You can also add clay in there as well. Machines/accessories would be at least in my opinion a powerwasher a few buckets tons of towels (Microfiber and terrycloth) A shop vac and a rotary wheel (with the knowledge of how to use it) you can also opt ofr a Dual action orbiter as well for less chance of any damage (just takes alot longer but comes in great when applying wax) air compressor with air nozzel. (to blow out all the crevices and cracks. You can easily step up to a heated powerwasher and a Heated Carpet Extractor as well if desired. a few scrub brushes are key. The more you get into it the more that you`ll realize if you need anything else to enhance your detailing. Lots of micro niche specialty tools out there if you ever need them.

Just my bit of advise.. Take it with a grain of salt. But since no one else wanted to type it out at least you have something to read :D

Thanks for taking the time to help me out...sorry for not searching as well as I should of...I will be looking through the forum in detail over the next few days and if I need any other assistance I will ask.

Thanks again

Setec Astronomy
02-08-2008, 07:20 PM
over 50 views and no advice? Any advice you can offer to a start up business regarding equipment and materials/chemicals would be greatly appreciated

I think part of the lack of response is that this question should have been posted in the "Professional Detailers" forum.