PDA

View Full Version : What injuries have you had while detailing.

Pages : [1] 2

backwoods_lex
02-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Nothing serious for me. I`ve scraped my knuckles around 50 times while degreasing tires, occasionally gotten degreaser in my eyes, and just yesterday I banged my knee pretty hard on a trailer hitch.

A really weird one happened when I washed a car early in the morning for a dealer, soaked my shoes, and continued to work for about 10 hours. Somehow the moisture must have swelled the skin on my toes, and a few days later both of my big toes had bruises under the nail. I looked like a color blind emo kid who painted his nails purple instead of black. Flip flop season was also postponed until the next summer.

asleepz
02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I was doing a oil change and a detail and ended up scraping about 1/8" deep gouge out of my thumb and hand from a cat. converter heat shield. That was a year ago and I still have the indentation and scar.

imported_Jakerooni
02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I sliced my wrist wide open scraping tint off a window. Freaked me out pretty good. Blood squirting everywhere... Not very fun let me tell ya

Twista616
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I sliced my wrist wide open scraping tint off a window. Freaked me out pretty good. Blood squirting everywhere... Not very fun let me tell ya

Ut oh folks...looks like we have a cutter on our hands!!

Hahaha, just playing Jake!

a.k.a. Patrick
02-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis elbow) is a degenerative condition of the tendon fibers that attach on the bony prominence (epicondyle) on the outside (lateral side) of the elbow. The tendons involved are responsible for anchoring the muscles that extend or lift the wrist and hand.

Chronic overuse leads to tendon degeneration, which is painful.

Many individuals with tennis elbow are involved in work or recreational activities that require repetitive and vigorous use of the forearm muscle.

And it sucks..........

brwill2005
02-05-2008, 01:56 PM

You are lucky Jake. Just FYI there is a much easier and safer way to remove window tint. For me the usual bumps, srapes, and bruises. Oh and of course back pain.

imported_Jakerooni
02-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Yea whats sad was that was the very last scrape of window tint that needed to come off and the blade slipped right into my wrist... Oh and it was a pristine white leather interior on a 72` Grand Prix. Absolute mint. Guy bought to put in the muscle car shows but it had all this cheap window tint on it and he wanted it removed... Lesson learned.. Hard

SShine
02-05-2008, 02:18 PM
rotary slipped and the wool pad dug into my skin pretty good. thats about it.

AP2TUDE
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Polishing a plastic Rhino hood for a friend using my rotary, hood slipped and dug into my foot. I still have the scar.

Tons and tons of random scraped knuckles, fingers. Burns from hot exhaust manifolds, hot engine parts, exhausts...

I have come to the conclusion that if I am not bleeding when I finish working on a car, I obviously did something wrong.

Oh...and getting wheel acid in your eye really sucks.

todd@bsaw
02-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I have come to the conclusion that if I am not bleeding when I finish working on a car, I obviously did something wrong.

I have a friend that installs car audio that has the same philosophy... :rofl

Oh...and getting wheel acid in your eye really sucks.

And in open cuts. I`ve since learned to use gloves whenever working with wheel acid because I always seem to have some cuts and scrapes on my hands (like most detailers).

As I stated in another thread of the same topic I started, I ripped my thumb nail off while clay barring under a side mirror. I break it so often doing that that I figured I just broke my nail again. Didn`t notice the nail was missing until I saw blood in my wash bucket. :scared:

kaval
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, I`ve got bilateral patella femoral syndrome from flat feet and lots of sports, so detailing doesn`t help with that, along with some slight arthritis in my fingers.

During the summer my finger got stuck in the PC rotation at speed 5 (don`t ask how, cuz I really don`t know, lol), ripped out a good portion of skin from my finger. Blood was all over the place.

Jakerooni, that is some scary stuff man!!!!

imported_hockeyplaya13
02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
I was polishing my parents` suburban and my feet were getting tired, so I looked for something to sit on. I saw an ice chest nearby and used that.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1081/icecheststartwx0.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8843/icechestmiddlefz8.png

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6950/icechestendza7.png

Bruised butt for about a week is not fun. I will never do that again.

asleepz
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Nice illustrations!!!!

Superior Shine
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Man you guys are accident prone!

I just kick a trailer hitch with my shin every now and then while walking around back of a vehicle I am working on. OH I LOVE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!

danponjican
02-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I`m pretty sure I broke my index finger once trying to clean a wool pad with my hand (running the buffer while tapping it...) Hit the wrong side of the rotating pad and it bent my finger back pretty good. I still have pain from this almost a year later!