PDA

View Full Version : 3m Polishes

Pages : [1] 2 3

baseballlover1
02-04-2008, 06:38 PM
i just did a search for 3m polishes and i was amazed that i couldnt find much.

Ive been almost exclusively using menzerna and i feel that i should have add 3m polishes to my arsenal. Could someone try to relate the different 3m products to menzerna for me? Also, i cannot find ANY place that sells them.

Thanks sooo much in advance!

'03 CTD
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
I can get 3M at my local Carquest, I hope it helps.

Wren
02-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I`m a Menzerna abuser also but have heard good results from 3m products. Simple steps too, something like a 3000 compound to use with wool, a swirl remover to use with a polishing pad and an ultra fina to use with a blue pad. Sounds pretty simple.

One of the larger Napa`s in my area carries all their stuff, give them a call.

Junebug
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Two things - 3M Extra Cut 3000 and UltrafinaSE, great compound and final polish. I like Menzerna for the middle ground and use 91 and 85. One thing that doesn`t get a lot of notice is that 3M pads fit your standard Makita backing plate and work really well. Do a search for CarQwest "paint" store, they`ll be able to hook you up.

wannafbody
02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I used the 3m 3000 Rubbing compound and found that it far exceeds Optimum Compound at removing defects. Follow with a medium polish and then FP2, ZAIO or Ultrafina.

'03 CTD
02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
What pads are you guys using, wool/foam?THX

Junebug
02-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I use 3M wool and foam, you can`t beat that blue Ultrafina pad!

Todd@RUPES
02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
With the Perfect It 3000 series, 3M finally got it right... They even admit that previous versions of their polishes where designed to remove and hide defects, where as the new 3000 line is designed to remove them.

Extra Cut is very nice, with a good cut. It will leave some marring on the paint, which can be cleaned up on the next step.

The step down is their Swirl Mark Remover. I personally think this is garage and only used it twice. It cakes up, leaves residue, and is PITA to remove. For this step, I prefer SIP or IP (usually on a white pad, but sometimes an orange is needed to remove the marring from Extra Cut on harder paint).

Then the final polish is Ultra Fina SE (Swirl Eliminator). Its a great finishing polish which has its place along side other great finishing polishes such as FP, 106, etc... It seems to always work. On harder paints I am still grabbing for 106 though, because it does have slightly more cut then the UF.

imported_Jakerooni
02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Been using the Ultrafina SE in the shop for the past few weeks here myself. Have to admit probably one of the best finsh polishes I`ve used. Definatly pick yourself up some of this and watch the video (posted elsewhere) on how to properly use it. (different than most) and you`ll get some great results with it.

Junebug
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
I`m with you Todd on their Swirl Mark Remover, everything you said about it was exactly right. I guess two outta three ain`t bad - cue old song from Meatloaf - and if you`re old enough to remember that - then I`ll see ya later at the home LOL!

imported_rydawg
02-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I have been using 3M for off and on for 15 years. They were always geared towards body guys giving fast cut after wetsanding and glazing to produce a fast shine. They did fill a ton and that`s what they were after.... "Production shop work". The compounds were also very hazardous for you health too. The old system was just not cutting it on $100,000 plus cars with all the technical paint that there is. Plus with the new VOC regulations, they had to make a change, and what better time to make it a big change.

Well, the 3M 3000 series has changed all of that. They finally listened to all of their high end shop owners and heard all of thier complaints and perfected a very good system for every paint finish shop. They made a whole new system starting from the Trizact sanding system all the way to the polishing to perfection system.

After working with their new system for the past 8 months, I must have to say that I am quite impressed. I have put Extra Cut and Ultrafina through tough tests and they blew through them with ease. Whether it is hard paint, soft paint, SRC, high solid, low solid, low VOC, etc, etc..... They will work and will get superb results if you are good.

The Swirl Remover Polish in their system is nothing great and does need a bigger improvement. Hopefully they will change it.

Ryan

BuffMe
02-06-2008, 02:33 AM
Where are you all buying the 3M 3000 series products? The shops by me don`t have it.

imported_DJ Mayo
02-06-2008, 03:09 AM
the 3M line dust too much for my liking.

Woob
02-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Two things - 3M Extra Cut 3000 and UltrafinaSE, great compound and final polish. I like Menzerna for the middle ground and use 91 and 85. One thing that doesn`t get a lot of notice is that 3M pads fit your standard Makita backing plate and work really well. Do a search for CarQwest "paint" store, they`ll be able to hook you up.

JuneBug,

Does the Raleigh Carquest Refinish Store carry ExtraCut3000 and UltrafinaSE?

Woo

jtford95
02-06-2008, 05:58 AM
BAseballlover, you can try for 3m products at any auto paint supplier.