PDA

View Full Version : paint damage - birdship

rmzalbar
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I have some birdship damage in a couple spots that`s eaten the paint. The paint is still on the car but it`s a slightly darker "stain" and if you inspect it closely, you can see many fine cracks through the color.

Rather than scrape it off, fill, respray etc. I was thinking of rubbing some touch-up into it, hard, with a cloth or something to "force" it into these fine cracks and re-seal the spot, then polish it smooth.

I`m hoping this will seal the area from the elements and make it less visible.

What do you think?

Setec Astronomy
02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
IMO that won`t last, but give it a shot and tell us how it works out.

BobD
02-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I would try 123 Touchup or Touchup 123 , whatever it is called.

rmzalbar
02-10-2008, 06:33 AM
I ended up with dr. colorchip. The problem now is that the damage doesn`t tend to be deep, to the metal holes like rock chips tend to be, but flat, broad, shallow holes that expose some sort of tougher black primer layer that the touchup paint doesn`t stick to very well.

The color/clearcoat is VERY thin so it`s hard to get a layer thick enough to look like a good repair and want to stay in the hole.

I`m tempted to carve out this primer to get a little more depth to fill. The blob remover included in the kit unfortunately rubs out too much of the fill too easily, so I`m hybridizing this process by letting it cure then carefully sand-finish per David Byron`s write-up. I`ll let you know how that works.

I ended up getting one of those california car blade silicone squeegees and cutting an inch off to help me apply the paint with. It works okay. The rest of the squeegee I can use on.. well, I don`t know what, since I hear they scratch the heck out people`s finish.