PDA

View Full Version : Optimum: For those who prefer finer soaps...

tom p.
02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I got a qt of the "New Formula" Optimum car wash (not the rinseless ONR product) and have found it to be a pleasant surprise. I`ve sampled a ton of different car washes over the years and keep trying new ones. This is the first new soap I`ve sampled in about 5 yrs that impresses me.

I`ve only used it twice. Initial trial was last weekend and it looked good, I could tell it leaves something on the surface. Good foam via Gilmour, good cleaning ability on a truly dirty car covered with salt and sand.

I set my benchmark at Griot`s soap and the 1Z Exclusiv Glanz shampoo. Those are the two prominent players....the ones to beat. Kinda like the Patriots :sign

Yesterday was a fine mid-winter day with temps around 40F and a prime opportunity to spend a little more time bondiing with this new product. On my 2nd go-round, I found this product to be quite excellent. I put 3/4oz in the Gilmour and filled about 2/3 full with water. The foam produced might be the best I`ve seen of the various products I`ve tried. It`s thick, rich and clingy. As I mentioned above, the cleaning power of this product is excellent on a dirty car.

Lubricity appears good, though not quite as good as Griot`s or 1Z. I`m not going to label this as a negative at this time, it`s just different.

Drying up is 1st class. I noticed an unmatched :wow: smoothness as I pulled my CWB across the glass. It moved with a silky motion I`ve never witnessed with other products. Very nice! Drying the body with MF towels was quick and easy. The product does impart some sort of coating to the paint. It offers a nice mid-winter touch up which the car needed. While the gloss is not as "bright" as Griot`s or the 1Z, the paint has a nice satin quality to. Looks very good. I`m going w/:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for th review.. sounds like something I need to add to the "buy" list

Accumulator
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
tom p.- Thanks for the review. Yeah, I kept reading after the line about the lubricity not equaling Griot`s :D

..the gloss is not as "bright" as Griot`s..

Maybe I`m just used to the stuff, but I never noticed Griot`s imparting anything, but rather just leaving things clean :think:

Anyhooo....glad you found something you`re enjoying.

purplenurple
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the review?

How would you compare it to DG901?

I have a bottle of the Optimum, but havent used it yet, since I have a gallow of DG.

tom p.
02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe I`m just used to the stuff, but I never noticed Griot`s imparting anything, but rather just leaving things clean :think:

Don`t you find Griot`s leaves a very bright shine?

Accumulator
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Don`t you find Griot`s leaves a very bright shine?

I honestly can`t say that I`ve ever noticed that :nixweiss

But then again it`s been ages since I used anything else (except on crappy loaners or new acquisitions that`re in "before pic" condition).

tom p.
02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the review?

How would you compare it to DG901?

I have a bottle of the Optimum, but havent used it yet, since I have a gallow of DG.

I`ve used 901 for years. These two soaps are different animals.

I admit that shampoo results are subjective and I can only share my personal observations. My best recommendation is to split a bottle with somebody and see if it works in your driveway.

This is the only new soap I`ve tried in quite a while that I`d give an endorsement to, and I`ve tried a lot of new soaps over the past 24 months that have been complete dogs that I would never buy again. I think this Optimum product is going to turn out to be a keeper and that`s how I gage a product.

tom p.
02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
I honestly can`t say that I`ve ever noticed that :nixweiss

But then again it`s been ages since I used anything else (except on crappy loaners or new acquisitions that`re in "before pic" condition).

Yeah, you`re probably so accustomed to seeing the excellent finish that it`s become status quo. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Accumulator
02-03-2008, 02:50 PM
tom p.- Heh heh...well, *most* of the time perhaps :D OTOH, I washed the new `00 A8 project yesterday so my mechanic wouldn`t get dirty working on it, and the Griot`s Car Wash didn`t seem to impart any gloss to that car (it did strip off some of whatever the selling dealer`s "detailer" used on it though).

Scottwax
02-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I`ve used the Optimum Car Wash and agree it is an excellent product. Like 901, one single ounce makes more than enough suds.