PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Case

pappy
07-17-2005, 08:13 PM
I just finished tonite taking everything out of my old dell case and putting it in my new case. the new case used to be just one of those tall white cases. nothing fancy. untill now.

Here is what i changed.

Painted the case semi-gloss black and i painted the front plastic deal gloss black.
Cut a window in the side of it with plexi window.
added chrome trim around window to hide bad cut job.
placed self tapping screws around the outside of window to hold plexi and make it look cool.
added 3 blue led fans (very quite) 80mm.
one fan is mounted in the window with a chrome cover on it.

thats it for my first case. not to bad for my first.

somewhere in the tranfer i cant get my computer to find my cdroms. so i have to try to find out whats the matter. if anyone has any ideas that would be great. but here the pics. i havnt tucked or zip tied the wires cuz i want to get everything working before i strap everything down. so dont complain about how messy it is. i will work on it.

http://www.gotkemp.com/vip/computer.jpg

http://www.gotkemp.com/vip/computer2.jpg

nyc_medic
07-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Not bad looking case. I will post pics of mine later or tomorrow. Once you tie up the wires it will look much cleaner. R U gonna add any UV Lights? Or is that the extent of the case mod?

JeffM
07-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Nice job man :)

Did you wetsand it?

GregCavi
07-17-2005, 11:05 PM
I designed the cutout of the hole in the case haha. And i stood around and watched pappy put the stuff in it. Well actually I put the soundcard, the video card and the old fashion internet card circa 1980 in there. Looks Nice!!

Greg

AhsGrad1973
07-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Pappy, if the CD-ROM drives are new, check to see if you have the Master/Slave/Cable select jumpers set correctly. Also the red strip on the cable is the #1 pin and it is always on the same side as the power connection. Some IDE connectors on the drives do not have a keyed notch.

pappy
07-18-2005, 07:12 AM
yea i checked the red stripe. and i looked for the master and slave thing but what do they hae to be on. there is like slave master and then some other thing. they are both on that other thing

groebuck
07-18-2005, 08:21 AM
hoo hoo - we are pimping out cases now?? - I will post a pic of mine if I can - I have a delorian :) - all aluminum (I know I know the D`s were stanless steel).

AhsGrad1973
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
yea i checked the red stripe. and i looked for the master and slave thing but what do they hae to be on. there is like slave master and then some other thing. they are both on that other thing

Pappy, so you have them as cable select. From your original post, you are using everything that was in your Dell case, motherboard, drives, CPU, etc. If not, and you have a different (new) motherboard, then it is possible that the new motherboard doesn`t support cable select. If this is the case, then the CD-ROM drive that you attach to the end of the IDE cable is set to Master, and the CD-ROM drive that you attach to the middle connector is set to Slave. If it is your Dell motherboard, when your computer is booting, are both indicator LED`s on the CD-ROM drives staying lit continuously?

JeffM
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
If you just put the computer back together the way it was, then you probably have the ide cables messed up. IE, the cd roms are backwards.

pappy
07-18-2005, 08:27 PM
no they just go on and off i think. but they always open and close so its not the power.

its got to be those other cables. and i did try the master and slave thing and nothing seemed to work. i tried switching them every way possible. then i grabbed another cable and did the same thing. the computer just wont recognize them. i dont know whats up. i even called the computer guy and i followed him step by step and it still didnt work. so i dont know. maybe its somthing with the bios or somthing. im just going to bring it in for him to look at quick see if he can fix it.

jdubb5005
07-18-2005, 09:17 PM
You can go into the bios by hitting del or f2 whatever it is dependant upon the bios and you can check from there if the bios is set to read the device. You can set it to read in any order hd cd floppy doesnt matter. It is best to do floppy or cd and then hd that way if you ever do have harddrive problems down the road you can boot from one of the other 2 devices. On the topic of jumpers take it out of the cd rom and run just the cd rom no other device on the cable. The computer will choose cable select and the device will be read if you have the bios set to read it. You will then have to proceed accordingly hooking up your other devices. You can still do a cable select setting after you plug in more devices too. I believe it is the one closest to the power supply and then slave is 2nd and then master is 3rd. Now if cable select doesnt work you need to set the jumpers accordingly as ahsgrad stated. The last device on cable needs to be master and the middle device needs to be slave. Hope that helps and its not too confusing.

Mikeyzr
07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, well, I just put some EX and Natty`s Blue on my case and it blings so much the picture wouldn`t even turn out!

pappy
07-20-2005, 01:53 PM
UPDATE:

ok fixed the problem so now i can play some bf again. i missed 2 screws holding the mother board in. as well as the lil pegs under it. so of course i had to take the whole thing apart again to put in those spacers. i took it down the guy and he showed me that and he said that its not only to keep it away from the metal box but its also a groud. so that could be the problem so i try it and it works.