PDA

View Full Version : When to start waxing?

Aviator16
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Okay this question probably goes to personal preference but here it goes.

Do you need to wax your car/truck if it is new (06 and newer) if it has the clear coat?

I have heard that waxing when the car is that new will dull the paint. What do yall say?

BigJimZ28
01-30-2008, 10:59 PM
:hm

duck and run

here it comes

:bolt

if it`s an 06 it should have been waxed two years ago:hairpull

Scottwax
01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
You should have waxed it when you first brought it home. New cars already have fully cured paint since the paint is baked at much higher temperatures than a repaint is.

You really, really need to download the Autopia e-book.

imported_never gone
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Just wow........

Xtreme-Klean
01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
I just bought a Volvo C30 and I preped the car and waxed it on day 1.

As always the dealership had to insist on giving me a "free" swirl wash job.

Aviator16
01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Okay cool i just didnt know and couldnt find it in the guide.

I`m new i gotta ask as many dumb questions as possible.

Accumulator
01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Okay cool i just didnt know and couldnt find it in the guide.

I`m new i gotta ask as many dumb questions as possible.

Hey, ask away...and don`t let the "oh jeeze... :rolleyes: " type of responses get to you ;)

I`d rather have somebody ask a question than make an uniformed assumption and I sympathize with anyone who has difficulties finding/accessing all the info this site has to offer.

By now that `06 could probably stand a good claying and polishing too...I bet you`ll be amazed how much better it looks after a thorough detail.

hybridhauler
01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
How does that ole saying go??????????? the only dumb question is the one that is never asked. Ask away....the folks here can be very helpful

jimmie jam
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey, ask away...and don`t let the "oh jeeze... :rolleyes: " type of responses get to you ;)

I`d rather have somebody ask a question than make an uniformed assumption and I sympathize with anyone who has difficulties finding/accessing all the info this site has to offer.

By now that `06 could probably stand a good claying and polishing too...I bet you`ll be amazed how much better it looks after a thorough detail.

I AGREE. :soscared:

jswift2000
01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
No dumb questions. Welcome and wax or seal away.

Aviator16
01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Great thanks, i figured the 06 was ready but i just didnt know we have new 08 Ford F250 and it just looked so nice after the wash that a wax wasnt necissary, so i didnt know if it was because of the clearcoat, thats where the question of when i should start orginated. of couse it is white.

Well thanks guys i will get out with it next time i get the chance.

OH and i am having trouble getting my windows clean its the eagle 1 stuff and i really dont like it but it came free w/ the car wash. what do yall suggest?

watermantra
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Great thanks, i figured the 06 was ready but i just didnt know we have new 08 Ford F250 and it just looked so nice after the wash that a wax wasnt necissary, so i didnt know if it was because of the clearcoat, thats where the question of when i should start orginated. of couse it is white.

Well thanks guys i will get out with it next time i get the chance.

OH and i am having trouble getting my windows clean its the eagle 1 stuff and i really dont like it but it came free w/ the car wash. what do yall suggest?

The wax or sealant is for more than "looks". It is also for protection against bird poop, hard water, and other atmospheric damage as from smog and ultraviolet light. It also can protect a car during washing, since it provides a slickness that helps dirt and grime come off easier, and helps your wash mitt and microfiber drying cloths slide with less friction. Plus, it will really help the paint "pop" when you do apply a Last Step Protection. Some of us will wax our cars as often as once a month, though there are now protectants that last for a great deal longer are available.

Almost all cars have been painted with a clearcoat/color coat system for about 20 years now, but the clearcoat is still essentially just clear paint. It needs the same protection as a color coat, and is just as fragile and prone to scratches. In fact, some would argue that the clearcoat actually enhances the visibility of scratches, since it is clear, and allows light to hit not only the top of the scratch, but bounce up from the color coat and hit the bottom, as well. If I were you, I would go through the full detail compliment (wash, clay, polish, wax) on even that 08 Ford. There was a thread recently in which an autopian clayed his brand new car...literally days off the truck...and was so amazed with the the amount of crap in the clay afterwards that he posted pics of it on the board. Plus, as all of us will attest, dealers don`t know much at all about proper washing techniques (or don`t care?), and most new cars will come with "dealer installed" swirls and scratches that come from improper washing.

I remember how amazed I was to learn just how fragile automobile paint can be, once I started to know what to look for. It is not bulletproof, as many dealers will claim. Check out any number of the "Click and Brag" posts to begin to learn to see the difference between a okay looking car, and a perfect looking car. Notice how many $100k+ cars kept in garages, not just everyday drivers, are in poor condition and need a great deal of correction.

As for glass cleaner, I prefer Stoner`s glass cleaner, which is available at Pepboys and Autozone, and costs about the same as most other window cleaners. Also, make sure to get a good microfiber cloth designed to clean windows (lint free, etc.) It is important not to use a household window cleaner like Windex, especially on the inside of tinted windows. The ammonia can damage the film.