PDA

View Full Version : Need some help getting started

Pages : [1] 2

Eraser
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
After working in the IT field for far too long, I`ve realized I`m ready for a change and have been thinking about getting involved with detailing. I`m not sure whether I would go mobile, fixed, or a combo of the two at this point. I`ll work on those issues later. Right now, I just want to "test the waters" to see if it is feasible for me to do this as a business in my area, as well as see if I have the skills needed to be a detailer.

So, my question is if you were just starting out and were going to pick one product line to start with, which one would it be and why? I know a lot of you have your personal favorites for various products, even if they are not from the same product line. However, I think I would like to stick with one product line for now...maybe one that across the board seems to work fairly well. Right now, I want to learn the ins and outs of the process of detailing instead of worrying about the product at this point. I`ll mainly be working on my vehicle as well as family and neighbors for a few months. With time, I`m sure I`ll say this wax or polish doesn`t seem to cut it for me and at that point look at something else to try. But, for now I just want to order everything I need and not have to worry about the product, but the process, if that makes sense.

I`ll appreciate any suggestions you may have and any helpful pointers you can toss my way. BTW, in the past I`ve done everything by hand. I want to purchase a PC, UDM, or Flex, but I just don`t know which one, what pads, etc. to get.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

icu812
01-31-2008, 09:39 AM
me personally I do mobile- cuts down on cost

I use Chemical Guy`s product line on my customers cars and get great results

invest in the Flex -a very well built machine

HTH

Todd@RUPES
01-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Chemical Guys or Meguiars both offer complete lines that will give you great results. If you want to work a nitch, there is a demand for Zaino detailers in some areas. The products you choose are not as important as the work you do. Where do you live at?

brwill2005
01-31-2008, 09:49 AM
After working in the IT field for far too long, I`ve realized I`m ready for a change and have been thinking about getting involved with detailing. I`m not sure whether I would go mobile, fixed, or a combo of the two at this point. I`ll work on those issues later. Right now, I just want to "test the waters" to see if it is feasible for me to do this as a business in my area, as well as see if I have the skills needed to be a detailer.

So, my question is if you were just starting out and were going to pick one product line to start with, which one would it be and why? I know a lot of you have your personal favorites for various products, even if they are not from the same product line. However, I think I would like to stick with one product line for now...maybe one that across the board seems to work fairly well. Right now, I want to learn the ins and outs of the process of detailing instead of worrying about the product at this point. I`ll mainly be working on my vehicle as well as family and neighbors for a few months. With time, I`m sure I`ll say this wax or polish doesn`t seem to cut it for me and at that point look at something else to try. But, for now I just want to order everything I need and not have to worry about the product, but the process, if that makes sense.

I`ll appreciate any suggestions you may have and any helpful pointers you can toss my way. BTW, in the past I`ve done everything by hand. I want to purchase a PC, UDM, or Flex, but I just don`t know which one, what pads, etc. to get.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Starting and running a detailing business, or any business, is no walk in the park. Rather than concentrate too much on which products you will use, concentrate on where you will get start up capital, especially money to market your new business. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be to do more marketing right from the start. Most of the good products on hear have marginal differences, that are not going to effect your success. Having enough money and patience is a whole different story.

Setec Astronomy
01-31-2008, 09:54 AM
First of all, "becoming a detailer" and making a living at it isn`t as simple as saying you`re going to do it. You don`t seem to be saying you want to get a job as a detailer, it sounds like you want to start your own business. That in itself, whether it be IT, detailing, whatever, is not something to be taken lightly.

Reading between the lines of your post, you state that you have no machine detailing experience and don`t know what machine, products, or pads to buy, yet you want to be making a living at detailing in "a few months" after you practice on your family and friend`s cars. Not trying to be negative, but unless you intern/apprentice with another pro for all that time, every day, I wouldn`t quit my day job and try to learn a living detailing.

I could go on and on, but if you are making a good living in the IT field, reflect on how long and how much training/experience it took to get you to where you are. I`m not saying it`s apples to apples, but it`s not going to be as simple as ordering a bunch of stuff online, doing a few cars, and making a living as a detailer.

Eraser
01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
me personally I do mobile- cuts down on cost

I use Chemical Guy`s product line on my customers cars and get great results

invest in the Flex -a very well built machine

HTH

Thanks, I`ll take a look at Chemical Guy`s line of products. Any tips on which pads to purchase along with the Flex? When I decided to take a look at doing this, my first thoughts were to go mobile...simply because nobody else is doing it. Do you have a trailer. If so, do you wish to share your setup?

Eraser
01-31-2008, 10:26 AM
Chemical Guys or Meguiars both offer complete lines that will give you great results. If you want to work a nitch, there is a demand for Zaino detailers in some areas. The products you choose are not as important as the work you do. Where do you live at?

Thats two for using Chemical Guys. Thanks. I live in Wheeling, WV (northern panhandle of WV). By nitch for Zaino users, do you mean people who only want Zaino products used on their cars? I fully agree with you about the product not being as important as the work being done. I`m looking for feedback on which product line to get from you guys so I don`t have to worry about that aspect of it. I just want to focus on the process or rather my work right now.

Eraser
01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
First of all, "becoming a detailer" and making a living at it isn`t as simple as saying you`re going to do it. You don`t seem to be saying you want to get a job as a detailer, it sounds like you want to start your own business. That in itself, whether it be IT, detailing, whatever, is not something to be taken lightly.

You are right, starting a business is not something to be taken lightly. Thankfully I`m fully aware of what it takes to start and run a business. My partner and I started the business I`m presently responsible for operating almost 11 years ago.

Reading between the lines of your post, you state that you have no machine detailing experience and don`t know what machine, products, or pads to buy, yet you want to be making a living at detailing in "a few months" after you practice on your family and friend`s cars.

You know, sometimes when a person reads between the lines they conjure up some assumptions that might not be entirely accurate. :chuckle: I don`t believe I said anything in my post about wanting to make a living at detailing in "a few months". I just want to learn the process of detailing to see if it is something I would be good doing and pursuing.

I have 3 years experience in my younger days working for a car care outfit. I don`t think the owners nor any of us working there considered it a detailing business but more of a general car cleaning operation. We did the typical wash, vac, minor interior cleaning, wax, etc. I did use a random orbiter buffer/polisher quite a few times but only to apply and remove wax or sealants. I have never used a machine to do paint correction....unless taking a sander to my 68 Cougar or Baja Bug to do some body work counts. I guess my original post would kind of imply I may never have used any type of machine since I said I did everything by hand. By that I meant the maintaining of my own vehicles, which I`ve always done by hand. Sorry about that.

Not trying to be negative, but unless you intern/apprentice with another pro for all that time, every day, I wouldn`t quit my day job and try to learn a living detailing.

I don`t plan on quitting my day job, but I certainly do plan on selling my business in July. Then I plan on starting something else completely different than what I`m doing now. I know my own limits and am fairly critical of myself and my work. If I cannot knock out a car I`m proud of and am willing to share with you guys after a few months of doing this, then I know it will not be feasible for me to do this. On the other hand, if after a few months I am proud of my work and the owners are happy with my work then I`ll take this another step forward and get serious doing some market analyst and drawing up a business plan.

I could go on and on, but if you are making a good living in the IT field, reflect on how long and how much training/experience it took to get you to where you are. I`m not saying it`s apples to apples, but it`s not going to be as simple as ordering a bunch of stuff online, doing a few cars, and making a living as a detailer.

Speaking of ordering a bunch of stuff. That was the purpose of my post. Any suggestions?

jshillin
01-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I use a lot of products from various sources. I prefer Menzerna polishes, but other than that I uses waxes, glazes sealants from different brands. Some good brands to look at

Jeffs Werkstat, Chemical Guys, Meguiars, 3m, ClearKote, Optimum, Zaino, etc; lots to choose from. Try out some products, see what you like best.

brwill2005
01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Look for what is cost effective; but more importantly, what works and saves you time.

Eraser
01-31-2008, 07:23 PM
For you guys on the east coast...who do you normally order your supplies from?

jshillin
01-31-2008, 07:45 PM
For you guys on the east coast...who do you normally order your supplies from?

Whoever is running a good deal!! I order a lot from DetailersDomain because I get stuff the next day and he had the cheapest shipping and awesome customer service. Justin at Obsessive detail is great to deal with, quick shipping. Stuff from Danase is usually here in 2 days, he has great prices and shipping isn`t bad. ProperAutoCare and Autogeek are in Florida, takes a few days to get here, but they carry a lot of different Products. Autopia and Chemical guys are on the west coast. A lot more, but those are my usuals...

Setec Astronomy
01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
You are right, starting a business is not something to be taken lightly. Thankfully I`m fully aware of what it takes to start and run a business. My partner and I started the business I`m presently responsible for operating almost 11 years ago.

You know, sometimes when a person reads between the lines they conjure up some assumptions that might not be entirely accurate.

I have 3 years experience in my younger days working for a car care outfit....

I`m sorry, if you had mentioned some of that in your original post I wouldn`t have had to read between the lines and would have kept my mouth shut. My apologies you obviously are aware of what you are getting into.

Eraser
01-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Jason. I`m sure one or more of those listed will work for me.

TTWAGN
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
I was in a similar position to you 12 months ago.

I saved up a reasonable amount of cash to turn my hobby into a casual business while i kept my full time job.

Keeping the amount of products you buy streamlined works quite well. Initially i bought smaller 16oz bottles of everything and i paid off my startup costs after the second detail. I then put away 50% of the money earnt back into the business in either advertising or expansing the equipment products that i have. I started making profit from the start.

If you have an excellent garage at your home and good neighbours then i`d definitely detail from your house. If your setup is sub par then a mobile setup would be the way to go. There is no point hiring a shop for 1 or 2 days a week.

You could try calling some DIY car washes and see if you could detail there and even advertise.

For start up of products i`d look at Menzerna for compounds and polishings and meguiars for the bulk products.

A rotary buffer would be prefered to get good correction. There is no point going half way if you want to be a professional. Smaller diameter pads would be better to start off with. Wool pads also provide more cut while producing less holograms due to their softness. This is why im a fan of the meguiars Solo pads, they are a small 7inch in diameter and have 2 wool pads and 2 foam pads. The foam pads are better for final polishing.

I`d reccomend:

Buffer and pads

Metabo 12-175 rotary buffer - light very powerful buffer

2x Heavy cut meguiars solo wool pads

2x light cut meguiars solo wool pads

2x polishing meguiars solo foam pads

2x finnishing meguairs solo foam pads

Compounds and polishes

1litre menzerna powergloss

1litre menzerna intensive polish

1litre menzerna finnishing polish (85RD)

1 gallon meguiars #66 quick detailer (best all in one protective polish)

Wash/cleaning products

1 gallon meguairs hyper wash

1 gallon optimum no rinse (for washing, claylube and waterless wash)

1 gallon meguiars APC ( for interior cleaning, exterier/engine cleaning and wheels)

1 gallon meguiars hyper dressing (tyre black and exterior rubbers)

Dozen small microfibres

Dozen big microfibres

Dozen general cotton towels

Various brushes

Other stuff

1 gallon Duragloss Aquawax (Best quickest LSP)

2x Claymagic clay bars

Poorboys Leather stuff

Poorboys Natty blue wax

Cheap shop vac

halogen lighting

small pressure washer

Dozen 8oz 250ml bottles to dilute/decant everything.

That’s Probably just over $1000 start up cost and you’d be able to detail at least 100 cars before your stock would get low. Everything should fit in a few milk crates ready to go.

Advertise word of mouth. Do a few relatives cars to gain experience and then do friends cars for half price. Before you know it you`ll be doing a couple cars a week. You`ll have enough products to last for a couple years at that rate.