PDA

View Full Version : Small Paint Chip/Flake - Ideas?

Acejam2k
01-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys,

Recently I went off course during a winter safety driving school up in NH, and I ended up hitting/brushing up against a snowbank. The car suffered some scratching to the front right and rear right portions of the bumper.

I took the car to a bodyshop, and just picked it up today. They did an excellent job, and it literally looks brand new.

Although, when I took it in it was quite dirty, and they made an estimate for me. I brought it back the next day to drop it off, and it was squeaky clean.

Today when I picked it up, everything was perfect except for one small area, that was not in the estimate. I asked the manager simply "If there was another section that was affected, why not just call me and ask about it?" he responded with some excuses, something along the lines of "we didn`t do it, we totally missed it, and i`m gonna yell at my bonehead tech who worked on it now". I honestly didn`t remember this chip before I brought the car in, but lucky for me I took pictures of the car in the parking lot when i dropped it off.

My pictures show that I DID cause the damage myself, and it`s not their fault.

I brought the car home just a few hours ago, and I`m happy to have it back. Although over time this chip might expand, and could develop rust perhaps.

Therefore, I`m here to post some pics, and show you guys the damage. Do you have any recommendations as how to fix this "myself"? I have a Ultimate Detailing Machine, P21S, KAIO, Meg #26,7, etc and some other stuff, and a few pads. Im not sure if I have touch up paint in my color, but I can easily get some as the dealer is close to my home.

I read the article here: Using Car Polish to Remove Swirl Marks, Scratches, Water Spots (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html)

Perhaps I could "break" the flake, and then paint over it and then sand it? Who knows, any ideas will be appreciated. Either way if I screw it up bigtime, or it doesn`t come out good, I might just take it back and have them fix it, but its in a really inconspicuous area, but I`m just afraid of the rust factor.

Wow, that was long. I`ve learned a lot here about detailing, and hoping to learn more.

Thanks guys!

http://www.campusbytes.net/files/sti/scratch/DSC03198.jpg

All visible damage here has been fixed, and looks brand new!

http://www.campusbytes.net/files/sti/scratch/chip-orig.jpg

Acejam2k
01-30-2008, 08:18 AM
anyone? super glue? haha

Acejam2k
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
What if maybe I took some CGM touch up paint and used a toothpick and just kinda put touch up paint all over the affected area. That should seal it up shouldn`t it?

kaval
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
It`s really hard to see. Macro shot?

Acejam2k
01-30-2008, 08:53 AM
It`s really hard to see. Macro shot?

Yeah, it is.

It`s basically a small hairline crack, in JUST the paint, not the actual body of the car. There is a very small lip at the bottom where it looks like someone could peel it right off, but the crack is so small my fingernail could barely feel it.

I`m wondering if I just got some touch up paint and squeezed some in there it might solve the issue. Maybe use a toothpick, and see how it comes out. I mean i can`t even remember the last time i looked at this area of my car, but i only decided recently because I picked it up from the body shop yesterday.

Acejam2k
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Took some closeup pictures today.

http://www.campusbytes.net/files/sti/scratch/DSC03206%20(Medium).JPG

http://www.campusbytes.net/files/sti/scratch/DSC03209%20(Medium).JPG

http://www.campusbytes.net/files/sti/scratch/DSC03211%20(Medium).JPG

I did some reading on how to fix scratches and such. Basically I could fill in the crack with touch up paint using a toothpick, with numerous thin coats. Then afterwards let it dry, in between each coat as well.

Following this, I would then wetsand the "bulging" part of the touch-up paint, as the dried area will stick up more than the rest of the car. Following sanding, I can use polish to polish it back up, and it should be good to go.

That`s what I basically read and found for "normal" paint chips and such. Although would that method work for this area and type of chip?

Hmm...

Mobilejay
02-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I am not going to give advise on how to fix that cause I don`t have a clue on how to. The only thing I can say is that with a flake paint job (or candy, pearl ect.) it will never match up. Its small enough to where you wont...well you will notice but others may not so do what you think is best.

Well you said the other thing came out perfect right? I guess if its not to heavy of a flake then you might be able to get it right. I know my girlfriends charger(red flake) would never match up if she had to touch up areas. Good luck I guess.

Acejam2k
02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I am not going to give advise on how to fix that cause I don`t have a clue on how to. The only thing I can say is that with a flake paint job (or candy, pearl ect.) it will never match up. Its small enough to where you wont...well you will notice but others may not so do what you think is best.

Well you said the other thing came out perfect right? I guess if its not to heavy of a flake then you might be able to get it right. I know my girlfriends charger(red flake) would never match up if she had to touch up areas. Good luck I guess.

Yea, the bodyshop matched the paint on my car excellent, and the body work they did literally came out PERFECT and it looks brand new.

Long story short, they "missed" this chip, and technically it wasn`t in the estimate but regardless if they saw it, they should have called me.

Whatever, point is that I want to try and fix this myself. Perhaps some touchup, wet-sanding and then polish can do the trick?

Your right, no one will notice it except for me. But, I do want to do something about it, because I live in Boston in New England, and Im sure eventually overtime this may develop into rust.

jshillin
02-01-2008, 10:05 PM
It looks like it`s loose. Flake off the lose paint, scuff it up and touch up the spot.