PDA

View Full Version : Question about polishing by hand...

.VorteX.
01-29-2008, 03:35 PM
A friend of mine has been asking me about polishes intended for hand use and techniques but I detail using machines and don`t know of a lot of polishes intended for hand use except maybe ScratchX...

If you would mind sharing some experience or thought I would appreciate it.

Thanx in advance

Siggi Alla

kh765
01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
The PB SSR line and Z-PC both say you can use by hand.

Vew
01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
1Z Metallic Polish is another good one.

8Banger
01-29-2008, 04:42 PM
pb ssr1..scratch X, i think most light polishes can be applied by hand

ricka
01-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I`ve used Duragloss 501 which is a nice cleaner and has some polishing properties. Used an orange pad with the Polishing Pal. It removed a nice scratch from my passenger door. Very easy and friendly to use.

.VorteX.
01-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for the comments guys

imported_Dave KG
01-29-2008, 05:54 PM
A product worth mentioning for hand polishing IMHO, for paints that are a little harder and need a wee bit more cut than something like ScratchX has to offer, is Menzerna PO91L Intensive Polish... Not the ceramiclear version, but the older style version. This has a very brittle abrasive in it, too much pressure by machine will shatter them effectively and ruin the cut. This makes it ideal for use by hand, as you can break the abrasive down pretty easily while still getting good cut.

Key to hand polishing is time - lots and lots of time! I wouldn`t recommend doing the whole car in one hit. Rather, do a panel a day - in the evening as a chill out. That way you can devote a lot of time to getting it right without getting stressed about rushing to finish - it takes a long time to break polishes down by hand, and repeated applications may well be needed especially on harder paints.

SVR
01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
You can use pretty much anything by hand but you`ll need to spend the time to break them down properly

I like the prima range for hand use, I`ve gotten SFX 1, Prima Cut and Powergloss broken down by hand, it just takes three minutes to do that.

Another way of working by hand is to use permanent fillers like the Permagard 5000 and PD5000 to fill in the defects and then lock in the fillers with a couple coats of PD

PD is not really one thing, it`s just six. The best part is that it`s a 14 month sealant with insane water sheeting wash after wash

Of course there are others and if you do the entire system it will make the paint a little harder to scratch and any new ones are easily filled in by hand.

This is the way I`m going now with my cars.

Accumulator
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Another vote for the 1Z line.