PDA

View Full Version : Buffer swirls in black paint

vicfalc09
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I know this has been covered, but i feel the swirls in my paint are really bad. These seem like real bad halograms...I just picked it up from the body shop and this is what it looked like, any ideas?

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4796/p1000601to9.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/3324/p1000605dm8.jpg

Accumulator
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
vicfalc09- Welcome to Autopia!

Sorry to hear about/see the holograms...unfortunately it`s not an uncommon problem :(

Three options:

1) Have the shop repolish it, telling them *no* glazes/fillers. Wipe down the areas they do with PrepSol/etc. to make sure they didn`t use glazes despite your instructions.

Benefits: you paid them, make them do it right; convenience.

Drawbacks: if they could do it right they woulda done it that way the first time; they might make things worse.

2) Have a *good* pro detailer fix it. (Perhaps you could get the shop to pay for this.)

Benefit: it`ll get done right, presumably the first time; more convenient than doing it yourself.

Drawbacks: hard to find a good pro; additional expense if the shop won`t pay for it; inconvenience of finding the pro and getting the work done.

3) Do it yourself;

Benefits: you won`t butcher it like the paint shop did; some people find such work satisfying; you`ll know what was *really* done to fix it.

Drawbacks: gotta have the right stuff and skill; time and effort expenditure; this stuff is sometimes harder than people expect.

If I were you (and I`m making some assumptions about you :think: ) I`d take it back to the shop, explain your dissatisfaction, see what they say. If they fix it, be sure to do the PrepSol/etc. wipe to make sure they don`t just hide the problem...but *I* think you oughta insist that they pay somebody *good* to do the work.

imported_etml12
01-29-2008, 12:22 PM
It really is unfortunate that more body shops don`t take pride in their work. The only explanation for the condition of this "freshly detailed" civic is that they just don`t care. Accumulator is right, you should take this issue up with the shop as they should take some sort of responsibility. However, they just may not be capable of doing it right.

Is the entire car like this or did they only work on the driver side and rear bumper/trunk area? What is your location? Maybe a fellow autopian can lend a hand.

Cassman
01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I had a similar incident, but the idiot on the buffer was so bad that they actually burned through the paint in two spot on the rear wheel well. When I made them fix the burn spots, I told them not to even think about touching the rest of the car. I had already spent 8 hours fixing the marring they put into the rest of the car when they were being so nice "detailing" it for me. I would not let them touch it again.

vicfalc09
01-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Anyone know of a good place I can get this done in Northern New Jersey, I am very close to the Wayne area. I do not want to bring it back to this shop, this will be the 5th time bak if I go there again, I was forced to stay there by my insurance company. Any help would be great, thank you all for your comments.

Wren
01-29-2008, 08:56 PM
You need to pass these pics onto your insurance company and let them know they are forcing you to use sub par body shop places. There is no reason why you should have to put up that kind of service. If they still insist on sticking with that shop after hearing of your experience, find a different insurance company.

pontgta
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
From the pics, looks like you need painting. i quess you could try to get them out, but that paint look dirty