PDA

View Full Version : ONR Newbie NO MORE!

Pages : [1] 2

Egleone6
01-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I just took advantage of a little warmer weather, 20 degrees instead of 2. Pulled the car in the garage and proceeded to wash the car with some ONR I picked up over the holidays. I was impressed. I started with just the passenger side, washed a section, rinsed the mitt, dried the section.

Here is the before on one side.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/Egleone6/ONR002.jpg

Then the other side, which I washed with ONR.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/Egleone6/ONR003.jpg

The only complaint I have is I really have no good way of cleaning the tires. I just used the ONR and a brush after the whole car was done. Not the best cleaned tires, but ok.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/Egleone6/ONR005.jpg

Thanks guys for recommending this product. I can really see how you can wash a car in the winter, in the country and/or on water restrictions.

es350
01-26-2008, 04:34 PM
For tires, I wait until I`ve washed the entire car. Then I take the remaining ONR solution in my bucket (with the grit guard at the bottom) and a tire/wheel brush dipped in the ONR solution to wash the wheels and tires. I scrub the brush against the grit guard to clean it between scrubbing. I then take an older MF towel (used for door jambs and grunge work) and dry each wheel and tire. Yes, the MF towel looks like hell...but it does wash out. My wheels and tires are perfectly clean. I do make sure that my wheels are sealed (every 6 mos) and my tires are dressed (about every 4th wash). I`m sure having my wheels sealed and tires dressed makes cleaning with the ONR solution more effective.

Egleone6
01-26-2008, 04:43 PM
That is basically what I did. I then dressed them with some Tire Wet and they look better. I just wanted to get the salt off the car. I need to go to a car wash and get the undercarriage cleaned. Or can you do that with just a hose at home?

Radicalrev
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
did you use the 2 bucket method? or just 1 bucket and the spray?

Egleone6
01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
I used the 2 bucket method.

imported_weekendwarrior
01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Here`s what I do....

I use 3 buckets - I use a 5 gallon wash bucket, with about 2.5 gallons of water with 2.5 oz of ONR or QEW. I use a 3 gallon rinse bucket with 1 gallon of water for rinsing the mitt. I then have a 3rd 3 gallon bucket for wheels/tires that I don`t put anything in.

After I am through washing the car with the 2 bucket method, I usually have about a gallon to a gallon and a hald left in my wash bucket. I then take that, and dump it into that empty 3rd wheel/tire bucket. I have tire and wheel brushes and sponges and microfibers that I use only for wheels and tires and wheel wells. I just use a 1 bucket method when I wash my wheels and tires, and have never had a problem.

Using that 3rd bucket specifically for wheels and tires keeps my primary wash bucket from getting particles of brake dust lodged into the plastic, and it just makes me feel better about the whole process.

BlueLibby04
01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
You only use 2.5 gallons of solution in your wash bucket and still use 2.5oz of ONR? You know it calls for 1oz per 2 gallons, right?

I washed a Jeep Grand Cherokee today and used almost all 4 gallons of my wash solution. Not to sure how you only use 2.5 gallons.

imported_weekendwarrior
01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
I use 1 oz per gallon - I figure extra lubrication can`t hurt. There is a misconception that you have to slop a lot of water/solution onto the car - that just isn`t the case. I typically only lose about a gallon to a gallon and a half out of my solution bucket when washing a mid sized car. I have been washing my 3 cars weekly this way for the past 6 months due to water restrictions. I have a halogen setup in my garage for polishing, and I check my cars about once a month, and there is no swirling/marring/scratching, so I must be doing okay.

es350
01-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I only use 1 oz of ONR per 2 gallons of water. I only use about a gallon on my LS460 and have no scratching or swirls. I wash with my MF towel very gently. I also keep a layer of Opti-seal on my car which keeps the dirt/debri from sticking to the finish.

I would think that the only danger of adding too much ONR to your solution is that you MIGHT get some streaking when you dry your car. If doubling the dosage of ONR works for you then go for it!

Egleone6
01-26-2008, 08:01 PM
You only use 2.5 gallons of solution in your wash bucket and still use 2.5oz of ONR? You know it calls for 1oz per 2 gallons, right?

I washed a Jeep Grand Cherokee today and used almost all 4 gallons of my wash solution. Not to sure how you only use 2.5 gallons.

Actually I used 2.5 capfuls. Yes, I only used 3 gallons to the car.

This was my first time, I will get better, but I liked the results. I did get some water trails and was unsightly. OVerall, I like.

BlueLibby04
01-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Hmm, I wasn`t really `slopping` it onto the jeep. I was able to use two Megs WW to dry it. One being for the initial swipe and the second to clean up what it left.

I was using the clean water bucket alot and I would wring it out before putting it back into the wash bucket. Thats probably why I used so much water as the mitt would soak it back up. I just didnt want to put water back into the solution bucket from the rinse bucket as it would dilute the ONR more.

I always use a 1/4 cup per 4gallons. Works out great.

Either way, your car looks great!!! It feels good to have a nice looking car when everyone elses is covered in salt doesnt it! :cool: I bet people wonder how you pull a dirty car in the garage then pull it out clean. Must be a magical garage. :D

imported_weekendwarrior
01-26-2008, 08:15 PM
I typically start out with about 1 gallon in my rinse bucket. I will wring my dirty mitt out in it well too before I put it back into the solution bucket. When I am done washing my car, my solution bucket will have about 1 gallon in it (started out with 2.5 gallons), and my rinse bucket will have 1.75 - 2 gallons in it (remember I started out with only 1 gallon).

The main point of my original post was to point out the use of the 3rd bucket for wheels/tires/wells.

carnut00
01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Car looks great man. Tomorrow mine gets the treatment.

fergnation
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I read this thread three times now and still can`t figure it out.:scared:

I was still with you when I heard 2 bucket approach.

Still there and somewhat curious when I heard 3 bucket approach.

But when I heard 5 gal, 3gal, 2.5 gal and 2.5 gal and 1gal. and 1.5 gal. and 3.5 gal I was gone. Then you talked about what was left in the first bucket as opposed to what you filled with the third bucket and then combined the thired and second bucket with the first bucket.:( Then poured the third bucket into the first bucket with the second buckets remainder (with grit gaurd) only using half of the first bucket combined with a fourth of the second bucket.:bawling:

So after all of that, you use the third bucket to wash the tires and rims!!:woot2:

I am so glad we never have water shortages here.:nono

fergnation
01-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I was so confused I forgot to tell you how good your car looks. All joking aside, during the winter it is very hard to get a good wash. The car looks great.!!!