PDA

View Full Version : Ardex Paint Sealant

Valuebuyer
01-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Just visited a local detailer with my new 05 Black Sapphire X5, with swirls from the dealer.

He suggested after polishing and correcting the swirls that he would seal the car with Ardex. He said it would prevent further spider and swirls due to washing etc. Also said I should wax over it to improve the look. Does any one have an opinion as the full detail cost seemed reasonable at $ 150.00 for the wash, correction,sealant and wax?

Thanks for your assistance.

howareb
01-26-2008, 03:25 PM
I guess that these are the products (http://www.ardex-nga.com/products.html). About preventing further spider webs and swirls, there is not a product on the market that can promise such a thing. If Ardex can honestly promise it, well they are going to become very rich!!!!

I personally have never used the products, but to promise such a thing is a far stretch. The only thing that can reduce swirls and spider webbing is a good washing technique (ie not taking it to automated car washes, or guys that tell you that they use something that can prevent scratching :) ). Take claims like this with a grain of salt.

imported_smprince1
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I gotta agree with the previous post ... I have never encountered a sealant that would prevent swirls and spider webs.

Envious Eric
01-26-2008, 04:38 PM
that is like the dealer telling/selling you on their PAINT SEALANT....for 500 bucks!!!

its a joke, and its the same stuff we are all using for sealants...swirls will still come back, and scratches will happen if not careful.

there is not a product on the market that will 100% prevent swirl marks...dont fall for a scheme like that...

now on to the correction and price...150 for wash, correction, sealant, wax??? that seems ballpark, but on BLACK???? I would have to imagine he is using a lot of fillers to get away with that job in a given time matter. I would spend no more than 3 hours at that rate...now that might or might not be enough time depending on the level of correction needed, so its your call...does he have reviews???

Chris@Optimum
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I have some Ardex stuff and it works pretty good but my supplier never made any claims like that and I don`t thint Ardex does either. My opinion is he was just overselling and telling you what you wanted to hear. As far as his price, I`d have to see befire and afters and maybe talk to another of his black car owning customers about the durability of the detail. JMHO

Valuebuyer
01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Thank you all for your response. I too was uncomfortable with this detailers statement, but you have all confirmed that I should not get involved. Thanks Again.

jtford95
01-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I use Ardex products and they never made that claim to me. The products are very good.

I think the detailer was trying to get the detail.

imported_JoshVette
01-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Your detailer is BS`n you. First off for $150 to fully deswirl a SUV is insane, that would be more like a $500 job minimum. He`s probably just going to glaze it all in and temporarily cover it up. The swirls will be back in about 2 weeks after you`ve washed off the oils and sylicones from the glazes.

As mentioned there`s no sealant or any other product that will prevent swirls, the only way to prevent it is to use the two bucket method, very very clean materials, leaf blower to dry and clean MF towels to touch up.

I would advise against using that detailer, he`s not a quality pro, sounds like a cheap hack. Find someone who`s skilled with a rotary and they`ll get rid of your swirls.