PDA

View Full Version : Heres a couple of questions..

8Banger
01-26-2008, 12:17 AM
I was thinking earlier and I got to wondering why a pad turns the color of the paint when you`re removing oxidation. Like, if you`re removing oxidation on a green car, your white pad becomes a green pad. I understand the concept for a SS paint, but why is this the case on a clear coat?

Also, I have some tail light tints I`m going to put on my Mustang, one of my lights has some clear coat over spray on it that I plan on polishing off with some light polish. My question is should I seal the lights with some OS before or wax them or just leave them bare before putting the tints on?

Thanks as always for any info. :cooleek:

David Fermani
01-26-2008, 12:29 AM
If the color of the vehicle is transfering to your pad, it`s not clear coated. Are you working on your 03 Mustang? Has it been repainted?

8Banger
01-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Oh, no I`m not removing any oxidation, I was just wondering...all the time in the C&B I see oxidation corrections on clear coats and the pads/MF towels are the same color as the car. It just gets me because they`re correction the clear, not the paint.

On a side note, the left side of the car was painted earlier this month...someone backed into the door...:( :( :( :( :(

fergnation
01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
The only time that happens to me with a car that has clear coat is when the pad reaches underneath a curve or a lip. Sometimes the paint reaches further underneath than the clearcoat does. But if you are polishing in the middle of the panel and getting the paint color on the pad then I would have to agree with David. The car doesn`t have clearcoat.

Accumulator
01-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Also note that a few vehicles have "tinted clearcoats" and that in some other (very rare) cases some parts of a vehicle are ss and others are b/c from the factory.