PDA

View Full Version : Which clay for post-repair heavy overspray?

Beach15
01-25-2008, 10:06 PM
My Fleetwood had the entire passenger`s side fairly eaten up thanks to a Subaru back in October, and was finally re-assembled back to normal a few days before Christmas.

The new paint is a perfect match and looks great (the entire passenger`s side, essentially), but the rest of the car, like the hood, trunk, parts of the other side, a wheel, etc. are covered in rough, heavy clear coat (mostly, I think) overspray.

I`ve used the typical blue Clay Magic bar for things before, but wonder if that`s strong enough for this heavy, rough overspray on large panels. I`ve been looking at various grades of Meguiar`s clay too...but don`t know which one, if any of them, is necessary, especially for the rather high cost.

And then for general use...if I should get both a more harsh variety for the overspray and then typical lighter stuff for general usage, or just use one for everything.

Which one(s) should I get?

Envious Eric
01-25-2008, 10:16 PM
sonus grey, meguiars red, automagic red I believe are all more aggressive claybars designed for overspray jobs...

general use - sonus green, meguiars blue are the ones I use

David Fermani
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
You should have no problem with your blue Clay Magic. You can step up to their red, but it will mar the finish and require you to buff. If that`s what you`re planning on doing anyways, step up to the red for faster results. Depending on how the overspray got there, it could be a real pain to remove. The overspray from your vehicle sitting inside the shop is easier to remove than the overspray that got there while they sprayed your car. That`s harder because it was baked into your finish. You can also try some heavy laquer thinner too.

8Banger
01-26-2008, 12:12 AM
personally, i`d clay with the blue since you probably already some, and if that doesn`t work, follow up with a light polish and step up if need-be

thats what i do when i have to fight nasty over spray

Beach15
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a plan. Thanks guys:xyxthumbs

I had been looking into all the various harsher clays, and still just didn`t know which grade was best for each.

In this case, the overspray is all even across panels (such as my hood 100% covered), from when they painted my car alone--fairly heavy. There was no baking process, just the paint and then re-assembling with all the trim. My brother works at the place that did it, and they usually do take more time afterwards to polish, wetsand if needed, etc. but wanted to get my car back to me before everyone left for the holiday.

So, the paint is all great...I just have that lovely new feels like sandpaper surface on old areas. Shouldn`t be too hard to fix.