PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wax

imported_spielnicht
01-25-2008, 12:29 PM
When installing/attaching body parts they call for complete removal of wax prior to using the double sided 3M tape. What`s the best and safest way to accomplish this? Is simply treating the area with a quick pass of Menzerba FinalPolishII good enough?

The parts I`m mounting are $$$$ and just want to make sure the tape holds to its best.

Thanks.

AP2TUDE
01-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I would say that the polish is a good start, but I would follow that up with a few passes of a straight alcohol wipedown. I think that should be sufficient.

Accumulator
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I`d use a solvent that`s made for the job: PrepSol, PreKleano, Wurth CleanSolve, 3M Adhesive Remover, etc.

I wouldn`t use just a polish as many polishes leave oils behind. And *I* wouldn`t trust IPA to fully prep the surface either. Better safe than sorry and a quart (or even a gallon) of solvent is cheap and handy to have around.

imported_spielnicht
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

BlueZero
01-25-2008, 02:39 PM
I`d use a solvent that`s made for the job: PrepSol, PreKleano, Wurth CleanSolve, 3M Adhesive Remover, etc.

I wouldn`t use just a polish as many polishes leave oils behind. And *I* wouldn`t trust IPA to fully prep the surface either. Better safe than sorry and a quart (or even a gallon) of solvent is cheap and handy to have around.

Agreed! I haven`t used any of the others you listed but find myself reaching for 3M Adhesive Remover for all sorts of projects.

Legacy
01-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Agreed! I haven`t used any of the others you listed but find myself reaching for 3M Adhesive Remover for all sorts of projects.Why would you recommend an adhesive remover to clean a surface that you will adhere something too? Leaving a film of remover would not interfere with the adhesion of the new item? Just wondering!

Accumulator
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Why would you recommend an adhesive remover to clean a surface that you will adhere something too? Leaving a film of remover would not interfere with the adhesion of the new item? Just wondering!

The 3M Adhesive Remover does`t leave a film, it evaporates clean just like the other solvents I mentioned. As best I can tell it`s just another version of the others; I can`t tell if I did a panel with PrepSol (sorta the industry standard) or the 3M Adhesive Remover, they both come out the same.

But the Adhesive Remover *does* seem a little better at removing adhesive residues (well, "duh" I suppose :D ) so I find it to be the overally handiest solvent to have around.

It works differently from the citrus adhesive removers (e.g., Dissolve-It, CitruSolve) that I`ve tried (not that those are bad, but they *do*leave a residue that you need to clean off) and I like it so much I keep a can in the basement shop as well as out in the detailing shop...I`m always reaching for it for something.

Craigmri
01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Denatured Alcohol is one of the best cleaners.

Craig