PDA

View Full Version : How many or How much?

Radicalrev
01-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Just wondering how much or how many times do you detail before going professional? How many details do you do before you do it for $$??

CalgaryDetail
01-24-2008, 02:18 AM
as manuy as it takes for you to feel conferatble doing it for money.. but remeber doing it for yourself and doing it a customer are very diffrent, expecation, conditions, cars, times, evrything is diffrent. Make sure you have it down

and if you are dying to make money start with just a wash and wax for say 50 bucks.. once that takes off start offering a clay and then an interior and so on... if your not ready dont take the plunge... trust me diving head first can hurt

imported_Jakerooni
01-24-2008, 08:43 AM
At first I always took a step back and asked myself "would I be happy with that and would I personally pay that much money for what I see before me?" Once I was able to honestly say yes all of the time I knew I was ready to take the plunge. This isn`t a business about making a buck it`s a business of passion. If your passionate about making the cars perfect the money will flow as second nature. If your just looking to make a quick buck more often than not you`ll start cutting corners to try and get the job done quicker to get to the next. Your reputation will suffer and soon enough you`ll be out of business all together.

boogiejoe
01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
It`s the same with any career or business. If you put in everything you have to give, then you will start to see your efforts rewarded. The difference in detailing as a hobby, and as a business is pretty large. As a hobby, that`s all you have to focus on. As a business, you need to make sure your detailing is of a good quality, and you still have to manage the business aspect. It`s not as simple as detailing for cash. If you approach it in that manner, you will probably be out of business quickly.

Keep refining your detailing skills and your business skills. Don`t get discouraged if you don`t get it right the first time, or second, or third... The successful shops keep trying. Take every setback as a learning experience. There is so much information here it`s unreal. Don`t take it as gospel, but apply it to how you work best.

Twista616
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
At first I always took a step back and asked myself "would I be happy with that and would I personally pay that much money for what I see before me?" Once I was able to honestly say yes all of the time I knew I was ready to take the plunge. This isn`t a business about making a buck it`s a business of passion. If your passionate about making the cars perfect the money will flow as second nature. If your just looking to make a quick buck more often than not you`ll start cutting corners to try and get the job done quicker to get to the next. Your reputation will suffer and soon enough you`ll be out of business all together.

All of the above is true, but there are other ways to look at it. Not everyone on Autopia can say they have a passion for detailing cars...that goes for any business as well. Normally people get into business to make money, or else you wouldn`t call it a business, it would be a hobby! Now, if you enjoy what you do...it makes your job not much of a "job"...more or less a hobby...with the bonus of making money while doing it.<---that what I think you meant about a passion!

brwill2005
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I started detailing for money very early on, maybe 16-17 years old. Becoming a `professional` is much different. I do not believe I became a professional until I decided to get my business license, insurance, logo designed, and became an LLC. All this did not happen until I was 24-25, which was only three years ago. Add to that, you have to conduct yourself in a `professional` manner, which encompasses many other things.

Envious Eric
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
no way you are thinking about doing this as a business...

did you just ask a bunch of questions and basically learn the whole process???

IMO, do a lot of your friends and family members cars for free, or for a small amount to pay for your time and keep your products filled. If you start going out there "learning on customers cars" then you are going to be one of the problem detailers this industry has...charging too little making other people think the rest of us are way overcharging because the "professional guy" guy the street is only charging 1/2 what I am...

learn what products to use in what situations...why use a chemical cleaner wax, why use a filler one step, why use SIP instead of megs 80, when to use wool and a rotary with a mild polish instead of an orange pad and a PC and a medium compound...why use APC on certain things and not on others, what protectants can you use on every part of the car and where cant you use it...

dont be another ALLURE...you already experienced what a hack does....

I would spend at least a year getting your detailing skills down before you try and make it a business and touch higher end cars...

Radicalrev
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
lol..im not starting a business or something like that....just wondering...got nothing to do last night and just wanna ask around...

Twista616
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
lol..im not starting a business or something like that....just wondering...got nothing to do last night and just wanna ask around...

It never hurts to ask...but it get people riled up!!:laugh:

SpoiledMan
01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
IMO, do a lot of your friends and family members cars for free, or for a small amount to pay for your time and keep your products filled.

This would be your apprentice/intern time. :)

fergnation
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM
The Prof Detailers forum is always very touchy. There are two types of professional detailers. There are the ones that worked for a detail or paint shop and eventually opened up their own. Then there are the ones that enjoyed doing their own cars as kids. next they did their friends and families cars. If they were any good, eventually more cars started coming in. More cars meant enough money to open their own shop.

Both of these work. The important part is that experience was gained along with knowledge. Whether you were taught or learned from mistakes and victories doesn`t really give you much of an advantage. EXCEPT if you were taught by the best. An amazing amount of time (and agrivation) can be saved if you get a chance to work with a true pro. How many potential detailers have learned their trade from some hack in a body shop or car dealership.

But how does anyone actually know if they are ready to start doing it professionaly if they don`t try it first.

Jake- you are so dead on!!!! It is about passion!!!!