PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Black Tundra

car man257
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 Black Toyota Tundra and can`t seem to get the paint the way I want it. No matter what I seem to try there seems to always be little scratches left that look like they should buff out pretty easy. Any ideas on the best process for me? It sits out side at school in michigan during the fall, winter, and spring. I have used the XMT 4 polishes... actually only 1, 2, 3, Meguiars swirl remover #9, Meguiars NXT wax, P21S, Griots Best of show, Meguiars Showcar Glaze. I a lot of product that I haven`t stated... basically anything Griot`s has ever offered, mom likes to give it to me even though I don`t use it any more.. she thinks I like it... poli seal, etc.. I am willing to purchase stuff too. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Scott

citizen arcane
01-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Do you own a ROB, PC or equivalent?

car man257
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
PC 7336 or 7424 I can`t remember... got it from griots a while ago LC yellow, orange, white, blue pads

imported_Grouse
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
cha-ching boo ya

car man257
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
^ What do you mean by that???

imported_Grouse
01-23-2008, 05:56 PM
for correction with those pads i would expect a 10-14 hour compound.heavy polish phase, and a 2-4 hour polish phase.

car man257
01-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok What would you recomend then?

imported_Grouse
01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
10-14 hours of correction and 2-4 hours of polishing

citizen arcane
01-23-2008, 09:49 PM
There`s a lot to consider here.

First - black daily drivers are the worst for us who care about our cars` finishes. As has been stated here: black isn`t a color - it`s a part time job :chuckle:

Second - to do the job properly involves polishing. Start w/ the least aggressive method and work your way up. I use and suggest (as most do here) the Menzerna line of polishes. Start with a light cut - Final Polish II (FPII) w/ a white pad. If not sufficient move up to using an orange pad. If the results aren`t satisfactory then use a medium cut ala IP then remove haze and finish w/ Final Polish II (FPII). Top w/ your favorite LSP.

Third - and most important - is work on your maintenance habits and perfect your wash routine so`s not to have to this all over again.

Fourth - did I mention that black is high maintenance? I own three black vehicles and my regimen is: wash at least weekly (two buckets, wool mitts, grit guardds, yada yada.) Apply AW every second washing. Every 6 weeks or so reapply sealant. Twice a year clay and redo the whole polish process.

Fifth - and this is one that`s being discussed a lot here recently is using an acrylic/polymer glaze when necessary then topping w/ a sealant. I`ve doing this trick since my last full paint detail and have been happy w/ the results in between the times that I polish.

Envious Eric
01-23-2008, 11:24 PM
i can tell you right now FPII and a white pad are not enough on toyota paint, even though its on the softer side, especially with a PC...

Orange pad with a medium compound...go over the whole truck...removing all the swirlmarks and light scratches...I like menzerna, but find 83 to work rather well.

then step down to a white pad with FPII, then FPII with a lighter pad if you want, or just wax it and be done...

sealants are designed to last about 3-5 months...not 6 weeks...

and dont worry about every little scratch and swirl mark...they are inevitable unless you want to spend 2-3 hours washing a car....I dont...I have better things to do with my life than WASHING a car...

You bought a black truck, you should know they look the best, but they require more frequent polishing...

I would polish every other month with a light polish like FPII/white, but not for full swirl removal, but rather to keep the luster and shine from the truck...and use a glaze then a carnuba wax on it...GET THE MOST FROM YOUR BLACK PAINT - wet, deep, liquid looking like it just got out of the paint booth!!!

Downgear
01-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Black daily drivers are fine! You just have to be well educated on what scratches the car. Most likely the problem is that you never removed the scratches completely. I personally learned on a rotary (makita) and never looked back. Many love the porter cable, however i cannot say because i have never used one. My black daily driven s2000 has stayed swirl free even being winter driven. I love the menzerna line as well, however other polishes can achieve similar results if done properly. Once you get her free do some research on how to properly wash and dry your car...this is where your scratches are born. Other then that, enjoy one of the most reflective colors on the planet!

Downgear
01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
There`s a lot to consider here.

First - black daily drivers are the worst for us who care about our cars` finishes. As has been stated here: black isn`t a color - it`s a part time job :chuckle:

Second - to do the job properly involves polishing. Start w/ the least aggressive method and work your way up. I use and suggest (as most do here) the Menzerna line of polishes. Start with a light cut - Final Polish II (FPII) w/ a white pad. If not sufficient move up to using an orange pad. If the results aren`t satisfactory then use a medium cut ala IP then remove haze and finish w/ Final Polish II (FPII). Top w/ your favorite LSP.

Third - and most important - is work on your maintenance habits and perfect your wash routine so`s not to have to this all over again.

Fourth - did I mention that black is high maintenance? I own three black vehicles and my regimen is: wash at least weekly (two buckets, wool mitts, grit guardds, yada yada.) Apply AW every second washing. Every 6 weeks or so reapply sealant. Twice a year clay and redo the whole polish process.

Fifth - and this is one that`s being discussed a lot here recently is using an acrylic/polymer glaze when necessary then topping w/ a sealant. I`ve doing this trick since my last full paint detail and have been happy w/ the results in between the times that I polish.

I completely agree with everything you stated however is it safe to clay and especially re-polish twice a year? How many years can you do this before you don`t have a clear coat left? Also i always finish polishing with p106FF followed by wax; is it more or less abrasive than final polish II?

car man257
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I know black is a tough color to take care of. Being at school in Michigan doesn`t help, parking in the parking lot, having to go through tunnel washes because I have no way of washing it myself. I am not looking for perfection, even though that would be nice, I am just looking for it to look its best without going overboard. I need it to beable to last a while between breaks because thats when I take the truck back to Wisconsin and am able to do anything to it. Anyone have a specific process they have used that works well on toyota black paint? Good wax or sealant that will stand up to midwest winters...