PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Tech Expo Review

jimmybuffit
01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Mobile Tech Expo 2008 is now history, and important history, at that!

I got there early and left late everyday. OMG! It was well worth the investment of time and money. Additionally the opportunity to meet and network with others from around the country was simply wonderful!

Here are some thoughts from the President of the National Associationof Professional Detailers and Restorers (NAPDR):

"OMG!, would be an understatement…how about an incredible gathering of exuberant Detailers and Manufacturers.

The consensus of all participants, visitors and exhibitors describe this Expo as one of the best that they have attended!

From our arrival in Clearwater, the NAPDR leadership team visited several detailing facilities to meet detailers and observe their operations and shared with them mutual ideas and expertise and invited them to MTE 2008 . We also called every fixed and mobile detailer listed in the Yellow Pages and Online in Tampa, St. Pete’s, Clearwater and surrounding cities to invite them to the convention. Present were people from the UK, CANADA, SPAIN and across the USA (California, Maine, Oregon, Michigan, Minnesota, New York,Virginia etc) It was a pleasure to meet some new faces and old friends in the business.

The convention was abuzz with excitement from the parking lot on to the convention floor, lettered trucks and rigs of all the different professions, mobile detailers, dent repair, glass repair and leather and vinyl repair. The NAPDR installed bleachers in the parking lot for an out door RV/Boat detailing education session where our very own Randy Lowe along with Tom Horvath from System One demonstrated RV detailing techniques. We are indebted to Cynthia Stevens-Pino for providing an RV, a SUV and seating for our demos and her assistant Joe.

This year we (NAPDR) sponsored the Detailing Pavilion and were instrumental in bringing many new vendors to the MTE EXPO (Meguia`rs, System One, Hi-Tech, CompuPay, Post Card Mania, Stoner`s, Optimum Technology, Auto Magic and, Edge Products) This diversity made the convention floor all the more interesting and exciting and created a renewed interest in products and techniques.

Without the participation of Manufacturers both as vendors/sponsors the convention would not have enjoyed its success! In addition, the technical presentations at the educational seminars were simply outstanding! leading experts and educators providing unbiased information to educate and benefit our industry. All the sessions were packed with old, new members and others… in fact lines of PDR technicians awaited the swirl removal sessions and many of the classes had up to100 persons in attendance.

You cannot imagine how Diana, Greg, Tony and I felt as we stood there transfixed with amazement and immense pride at seeing and experiencing the birth of a renewed industry. A year’s work come to fruition, NAPDR buttons that proclaimed our membership, Lettered Red Shirts, educational books to accompany the sessions. Our very own booth on the convention floor with member services and wave after wave of detailers perusing the floor.

What can I say about the presenters Joy Gendusa of Post Card Mania the incredible wealth of information she imparted on marketing. Jason Rose of Meguiars, a 101 course on choosing detailing tools, Tom Horvath a one man show on SPP Single Product Polishing,. Dr. Ghoddoussi an informative talk on Designer Polymers and the industry changes to come.. Cynthia Stevens-Pino on the benefits of networking, Kevin Farrell a real education on the use of acid cleaners for wheels and last but not least the leather gurus Doug and Kian another spell binding class.

Of course without the NAPDR members this convention would not be possible, at our meet and greet and member meetings we were able to recognize old members and vendors for their contributions and participation in our industry. A great time to be had by all and many made out like bandits receiving over $3500 in detailing gifts supplied by our vendors.

Yes! I am excited…Yes! I am extremely proud of the NAPDR leadership team and it`s accomplishments when the objective of providing knowledge and camaraderie has been so evident.

Lets put our best efforts together and work towards making MTE 2009 another success!

Gina Budhai

President - NAPDR"

Jim

boogiejoe
01-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Which seminar did you like best?

jimmybuffit
01-23-2008, 09:47 AM
There were two or three that did not interest me, but the rest were very informative. By far, the Postcardmania presentations will have the greatest impact on my marketing and gross sales.

I`ve been to many such conventions (in many different fields) in my long and various careers. I was very impressed by the organization and professionalism of the NAPDR group.

Chris, I highly recommend that you set aside time for MTE 2009. A great experience!

Jim

brwill2005
01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
There were two or three that did not interest me, but the rest were very informative. By far, the Postcardmania presentations will have the greatest impact on my marketing and gross sales.

I`ve been to many such conventions (in many different fields) in my long and various careers. I was very impressed by the organization and professionalism of the NAPDR group.

Chris, I highly recommend that you set aside time for MTE 2009. A great experience!

Jim

Jim- I am glad MTE was a success. I will plan to attend next year. Can you touch off on some of the points made by Postcard Mania? Thanks for the great write up on the event.

Twista616
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Jim- I am glad MTE was a success. I will plan to attend next year. Can you touch off on some of the points made by Postcard Mania? Thanks for the great write up on the event.

I second the "Postcard Mania" points...I wish I could have made it down there...its only 1500 miles away!

jimmybuffit
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Check out their website: PostcardMania - Bulk & Direct Mail Postcards - The Bulk & Direct Mail Postcard Marketing Experts (http://postcardmania.com) .

I have never been a believer in mailing, of any kind. So this is a huge turnaround for me!

They assist in every step of the process, from design, specific list creation, labeling and mailing. They are quite thorough in the process, and very familiar with all the rules, regulations, and tricks.

The owner is in her early forties and quite dynamic. She started about nine years ago, and did gross sales in 2007 of $18.8 million! Something is working for her!

Here`s the very basics of the concept: They freely admit that less than 5% of the cards will be read for more than one second. But, mail that same card every two weeks (four mailings) and you benefit from frequency, and get a small response. That response may be less than 5 %, but, if you can convert/close the sale, you win!

Send 5000 postcards four times to 1250 carefully selected homes (BMW & Lexus owners in a specific zip). A 5% response equals 62.5, call it 60 responses. If you close only half of those (30) for $200 detail (or more :bigups ), that`s $6000 in new revenue. The campaign may cost .40-.45 cents per card - that`s $2250 - you net $$3750.

What if she is exagerrating? Cut the response in half again - only 15 $200 details you still earn $750, and have 15 new clients, who will spread word of mouth...

Check out the website, it really explains alot.

Oh, she feels the card MUST have a special offer/call to action. Free ScotchGard, 10% 0ff, just some sort of deal...

What if your card was just the perfect design, and drew a 10% response? Work those numbers! You`d net $22,750! Wow!

Jim

Twista616
01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Nice work Jim...i use these same tactics selling real estate...its a longer turn around and bigger chunk of change...but it works, cause i`ve done it!

boogiejoe
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I was there this year. Had a good time.

brwill2005
01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks Jim- That is pretty much what my current direct mail program does. They are correct, it does work. I have done two mailings to 30,000 homes and landed some very good clients as a result.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I attended and mirror what Jimmie said about the education classes! Simply put: very professional and informative. The questions asked were very direct and not Brand Name oriented.

I especially liked the interior cleaning and the information about pH factors. In my old age, the only thing I knew about pH was printed on a shampoo bottle!

Leather cleaning was especially good and those PDR folks put on a heckuva contest! Those guys are dent removal artists.

It seemed like the entire NAPDR staff worked to make this Expo a success and it was.

And, finally, I got to meet Jimmie and see another Senior Citizen (only kidding Jim)

Toto

brwill2005
01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I attended and mirror what Jimmie said about the education classes! Simply put: very professional and informative. The questions asked were very direct and not Brand Name oriented.

I especially liked the interior cleaning and the information about pH factors. In my old age, the only thing I knew about pH was printed on a shampoo bottle!

Leather cleaning was especially good and those PDR folks put on a heckuva contest! Those guys are dent removal artists.

It seemed like the entire NAPDR staff worked to make this Expo a success and it was.

And, finally, I got to meet Jimmie and see another Senior Citizen (only kidding Jim)

Toto

Let me guess; cleaners with high pH, although effective, can be damaging to interior materials. Each step up in the pH scale means the solution is 10 times as alkaline as the previous step; correct?

Superior Shine
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I returned from Fla yesterday. I took an extended vacation after the show.

YES IT WAS AWESOME! I have been in business for over 19 years and I thought I had it down pretty good - guess not.

The networking info by Cindy was great, Joys advertising advice is being put to work in my business already, I have already ordered the polishing equipment discussed in Jasons class, my interior cleaning will never be the same thanks to Doug and Kian.

Then there was the rubbing elbows with fellow PRO- DETAILERS - AWESOME!

The NAPDR did a wonderful job putting the educational sessions together -WAY TO GO! :bounce

Todd@RUPES
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
It was a pleasure meeting you Jimmy and Richard!

boogiejoe
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I was especially fond of the guys that used the old Mercury on display to use as a table. They were shuffling all sorts of papers and camera bags across the paint. They even used it as a writing surface.