PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a pnuematic DA?

PJFransko
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I see all the posts about the electric DA, but I have been using a pneumatic and my compressor. Am I the only one doing this?

imported_bpfoley
01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I would imagine that would take a large draw on the compressor, unless you have a large reservoir you would be waiting for it to fill a lot

the other pc
01-22-2008, 07:09 PM
It’s not just a question of the reservoir; it’s about how much air the compressor can deliver continuously.

Unlike an impact wrench or a nail gun, which are only triggered intermittently, a buffer is run wide open for extended periods.

PJFransko, pneumatics are rarely used by detailers because they do require very large (and expensive) compressors to run them. The tools themselves are usually much more expensive than their electric counterparts too.

Still, if I had a fixed location and an unlimited budget, I’d love to go pneumatic.

Oh, and :welcome to Autopia.

PC.

asleepz
01-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Why go pneumatic though, electric just seems like a cheaper alternative than having a roots type compressor or huge conventional compressor running all the time.

boogiejoe
01-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I used a cheap harbor freight one for a short time. It gave in after about 5 cars. If you use one, get a good one with the exhaust out the back. Mine would mist water all over the place.

It was easy to use, super light and about 15 bucks. It was hard to keep at a constant speed. I have a large compressor and it ran constantly. I may go back someday if I get a much larger compressor, but it`s not really feasible at the moment.

protojason
01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
I bought my dad a craftsman 33gal stand up compressor...160psi..(surely less than that continuous flow),

Anyhow, he promptly went out and bought an air hammer and a pneumatic palm sander. The sander is random orbits and all, and i thought the same thing. . .

One thing I noticed however, is that theres no real way to control the speed of the sander...something the PC can do selectively.

The compressor kicks on after a while, and ran continuously during use, but never compromised the operation of the sander.

--jason

asleepz
01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Most sanders DA and straight line have an adjustment knob that you can change speed with.